The What's Up? thread.

SamH

• Replies 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

What cichlids are you feeding? Mine take them fine. The Africans prefer african fry and Americans will destroy anything from guppies to bristlenose fry to African fry/young juvis

Americans, GT and JD, guess I keep them to well feed, as I have only ever seen my poly's take live fish that I have put in there.

Looks good, nothing quite like seeing a big tank waiting to be filled!

Not sure about the stand tho, I think you would be better off with something more rigid than ply on top of the blocks. The ply isn't stiff enough to offer any real support for the base of the tank, and you'll be able to level it more accurately. You might get away with it as-is, but its a lot of water on the floor if you don't!

Pretty happy with how the tank sits at the moment, it's far more solid than it look. I'm planning on trimming the ply down so it's flush with the tank, painting or covering the blocks and getting another piece of ply for a shelf between the bottom block and the second block. Lighting and hardscape after that, might be a few weeks though with school and work etc.

Sophia that thought did cross my mind but I have terribly bad aquascaping luck with anything over 100 litres :-? I've read that no matter how well I scape it, Oscars will rearrange it given the chance. I want to go really rock heavy, got a couple of solid pieces of alpine cobble with the tank for main rocks, will buy some more from 20cm down to 20mm pebbles with a sand base. I might give java fern a go but the fish I want don't usually play nice with plants :nilly:

I'd agree about the stand. Along the front edge the ply looks to be completely unsupported for about 600mm, which is a large enough gap to allow it to deform (consequently allowing the glass panel to deform). I'd be adding in another stack of blocks through the middle or attach the ply to a timber frame to provide more support to the ply

It's not the blocks that are the issue, it's the ply. I use the stuff all the time at work (residential building). If it is put over joists at 600 centres there is noticeable flex in it (particularly if not fixed down). For the sake of $20 worth of 4x2 and a few nails why take the risk?

9 out of 10 times it would be fine. But if you make a basic frame to sit on top of the blocks and then fix the ply to that it will be much safer, and like I say, why take the risk. Check trade me for ply and timber rather than paying retail at mitre 10/ placies etc. South Pacific timber is usually the cheapest