SamH

• Replies 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

On the dark side, my car failed a WOF

It failed on front and rear wheel bearings, a worn seatbelt, worn drivers door hinges, headlights out of alignment, perished and leaking power steering hoses, worn trailing arm and they recommended getting a wheel alignment. So I took it to a mechanic across the road from work to quote on the repairs and he comes in a couple of hours later to tell me there's nothing wrong with the wheel bearings, the seatbelt is fine, the door hinges only needed tightening, he adjusted the headlight in 10 seconds, the power steering hoses are fine and only needed tightening, there's nothing wrong with the trailing arm or the wheel alignment. So what's up with that? Rip off SOBs :an!gry He's retested and passed it.

Oooh that sucks! VTNZ has to be the best since they don't do repairs. And it seems good mechanics are hard to find, although I got the nicest ones in Rotorua who actually talked to me like a human and not just a woman!! And didn't tell me lies about things to get me to spend more money, I was rather impressed.

We have a big and fancy new VTNZ that was set up here just a few years ago but I have always gone to a private testing station that has been in business for as long as I can remember and it is all they do so I know they are not failing things just so they can sell me a new part.

I know most of the staff on a first name basis and have absolute faith in their vehicle checks. We have actually rarely failed a warrant as all our vehicles get regular service checks.

and that is why I don't go anywhere near pitstop or midas for anything at all. They've failed warrants for which I've taken straight to VTNZ for a second opinion and they've passed it straight away. The time I was charged 8hours labour when I dropped the car off at lunch time and picked it up at 4pm to have the brake pads changed was the final straw. Never again.

Just been fiddling with my new Aqua Medic OceanLight 1x 150w HQI :thup: Brand new, $165.00 incl. shipping off TradeMe. Have a look at it on some of the USA and UK online shops, it's much more expensive. The seller must have got it wholesale from somewhere or direct from the manufacturer to be able to sell it that cheap. The actual fixture has a funny plug but it plugs into the ballast which has a NZ plug so I don't need to worry about an adapter :)