money making fish

disgustipated

Get a big tank (120x60x60cm) with a good filter and try mass-breeding these and sell them cheap;

- Danio margaritatus

- Hemigrammopetersius caudalis

- Hemigrammus rhodostomus

- Paracheirodon axelrodi

Hopefully you'll make a good profit. To start off breeding, you only need about ten fish, and then after that you'll have hundreds of fry which you can then breed when they are mature and then you'll make even more money lol :D

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...

peacocks are quite good at breeding an very popular but require at least 2 females per male an a biggish tank 200L minimum. Dwarf cichlids are probably a good bet to.. they stay small and can be kept in 2foot tanks easily... its not as easy to breed them an you will also need a fry raising tank.Another factor to consider is fish health... fish sometimes die randomly for unknown reasons (water parameter changes or bullying for example) theres no point breeding a fish every couple week as it won't necessarily work out as well as you think an your more than likely to have losses at some point.

so lets say you have 2 tanks running at around 70L each, its probably gona cost you around 35-50$ at least a month so you'd have to have a pair that is producing fish solidly an a stable fry raising tank as well as demand for the fish.

more often then not, people don't want to buy baby fish... an you have to wait a couple months for them to get to a reasonable size before anyone will pay for them... but you might sell them for abit more... so your going to need to sell around 50$ of fish a month to even break even an then theres the time an effort you put in to the tanks an the selling... you might find its just cheaper to work 5hours in the weekends to make money than to breed any fish but... you might be able to get some of the costs back on your food an power bills...

• 9 months later...

Breed Fancy Guppies and only supply the males. Since there are no females it takes a bit of time and ressources to breed the pure strain back. Even better for Platinum, Lazuli, etc. which are located on the X-chromosom only.

Or simply put females from another strain in the mix you are selling and the confusion will be perfect if someone tries to continue the strain and looks at the ugly F1-generation that pop's out :)

JaSa

Breed Fancy Guppies and only supply the males. Since there are no females it takes a bit of time and ressources to breed the pure strain back. Even better for Platinum, Lazuli, etc. which are located on the X-chromosom only.

Or simply put females from another strain in the mix you are selling and the confusion will be perfect if someone tries to continue the strain and looks at the ugly F1-generation that pop's out :)

JaSa

Most people on the website and part of the FNZAS are actually here FOR the hobby and wouldn't dream of doing anything like that.

Most people on the website and part of the FNZAS are actually here FOR the hobby and wouldn't dream of doing anything like that.

If you only sold fancy males, and they had fancier females.... Is it possible that you're backup plan could blow up in your face? They could end up with better stock than you...

:slfg:

Phoenix, I agree. but I also don't see an issue with cross breeding normals and fancy to see what you get. (You can always cull off any nasty looking ones - don't sell these)

Me either (ask the guys who got fish from me) but that's not the topic here.

The topic is how to make money out of fish and the ideas postet from me cover that - and not if it's ethical or if most people on this site and FNZAS are here for hobby and wouldn't do it...

@Sheepsnana:

Great! Finally some good looking Guppys in NZ. Need only someone who is up for it, eh?

:digH:

JaSa

i think it is possible but not likely.

if you get something that is expensive and rare and manage to breed and sell a lot of them then they will make $.

there have been a few fish that were possibly made good money from but you also need to outlay a lot first and run the risk of loosing them and your coin.

like the zebra plecs, if you bought a bunch at up to $1k each a bred plenty of them then there is a chance that they will bring in a tidy return. I keep my hobby paying for itself but it did spend a good amount of coin for them in the first place and as they were kinda rare selling wasn't difficult but that fact they have breed in the hundreds and i sell for small amounts compared to shops makes that work i think.

what about discus? I'm new to fish keeping but they seem pretty expensive

They are and the purchase price is the least of it. :)

I would love to find that elusive money producing fish too. I think it is possible to not lose money if you give up a lot of time in the effort and have good luck.

For me, I just love the hobby and if I spend $100 - $200 a month then I figure I have got off lightly compared to some hobbies. :thup:

For me, I just love the hobby and if I spend $100 - $200 a month then I figure I have got off lightly compared to some hobbies. :thup:

just spent thousands on the v8 in my toy, won't see that $ again so the fish bringing in a bit is nice.