p44's goldfish tank!

phoenix44

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cool- I really like the set up.

Gonna look wicked when it settles down

I agree Goldfish definitely need and deserve names- they just seem to require them.

I think it is the link with goldfish I had as pets as a kid.

I set up a goldfish pond for my Mum 6 yrs ago and there have been no losses in 5yrs.

blackmoors/shubs/comets/fantails/ryukins. They are definitely her pets and all feed from hand- too much for the Orandas

She has names for them all- I'm actually a bit bit worried now how she'd handle it if she had a few losses.

The names though are more along lines of Bubbles, Patch, bluey , Nemo,humpy... etc

Anyone want to guess what names goes with which fish variety?

FW mussels are so cool! I recall Stella telling me that they are endangered in the wild?

They just scoot around the sand leaving sand trails as they go! and they have these cool frilly things that they let out their shells. I hide food in the sand for them and they seem to chase it down!

The problem with freshwater muscles is that they are taken from the wild, live on tiny microbes in the water, filter massive amounts of water and basically starve to death because they run out of food. It is unlikely that there would be enough food in that tank to properly support one. They will polute your tank very quickly when they die.

I had FW Mussels in a goldfish tank as a kid, When i moved out of home they got thrown into a tub at the back of the section with a few rocks, wood, no sand and some plants.

2 years later I was helping to clean up the olds backyard and come across the tub :o

The plants hadn't done so well but there were 3 mussels still alive. I was surprised that they had survived.

I put them in the goldfish pond where they could get around.

Freshwater mussels (kakahi) are not suitable for living in containment.

They, as has already been mentioned, require very large amounts of food which is very hard to provide in an aquarium.

The reproduction cycle of them is still not fully understood, but it does require fish. With the decline in native habitats and fish numbers there is a drastic decline in the mussels.

No matter what a LFS tells you, these are not farmed for supply to them. They are sourced directly from the wild.

http://www.niwa.co.nz/news-and-publicat ... 0-4/kakahi

They, as has already been mentioned, require very large amounts of food which is very hard to provide in an aquarium.

I actually thought it was P44 that said that a few months ago but i could not find it to put up a link

Yes, Stella had told me about it ages ago, and I'm sure I mentioned it after that somewhere. Not sure if it was here or somewhere else though. I have them going in my poly box pond things where I grow those plants to see if they can really clear up water. They should get heaps of food in there, and then I put them in the tank.

Apparently they can live for 30-50 years so I'll be interested to see if any one has actually kept them alive in a proper tank for ages.

Apparently they can live for 30-50 years so I'll be interested to see if any one has actually kept them alive in a proper tank for ages.

That would be why no one has.