L140 Breeding log

Joshlikesfish

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I still don't think they have reached maturity. In the right lighting there is hair on the tail but not as much as expected.

What makes you think its a female?

I tend to agree with Mr Pleco Josh.

Female

DSCF0595.jpg

Female

100_0267.jpg

Male

DSCF0500.jpg

Male

DSCF0587.jpg

Give them another 12 months and see what happens.

The females tend to like caves also.

Cheers

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Since KrazyGeoff told me they were to young to breed, I cut down on feeding, raised the temp back to 27 from 23, and stopped checking for breeding activity.

I had a slight filter problem two weeks ago and the tank got covered in brown algae. Did 10-20% water changes every one to three days.

Along with the cold water changes, the 100W heater was failing and would make the temp fluctuate dependent on the weather.

Usually all 4 bamboo caves had the tail of a plec sticking out, but one of the caves didn't so I thought I'd check to see if it was empty. I shined my torch in and funnily enough, he was on eggs :nilly:

23C is too low for L140 :facepalm: Im not surprised they bred once you put it back up to 27C :thup:

Unless you were trying to trigger a spawn by keeping it cooler for a period of time?

Regardless, congrats on the breeding! :happy1:

23C is too low for L140 :facepalm: Im not surprised they bred once you put it back up to 27C :thup:

Unless you were trying to trigger a spawn by keeping it cooler for a period of time?

Getting that low is part of the trigger that I was attempting. With my panaques, I did it as low as 19 for a fortnight.

I was wondering that too, Geoff have you spawned any of your first generation of young to see if the "broken wing" deformity is passed on?

Not specifically.

Josh's fish are from the first generation that demonstrated that "feature", but I am more inclined to think it had to do with egg development and water conditions, rather than genetics due to not seing that again in subsequent spawnings.