February 15, 201115 yr comment_421783 I dont recall ever seeing as many cicadas as I have this year. The noise is deafning up at the river its almost unreal but still does your head in after a while :lol: . Counted 18 cicada in one coprosma bush . There also seems to be heaps of the white butterflies around. Good season for certain bugs so it would seem. Anyone else noticing the same in your area? Report
February 15, 201115 yr comment_421785 There are millions between Taupo and Turangi every year. Report
February 15, 201115 yr comment_421792 yes - heaps of cicadas in Auckland. My cats are having great fun Report
February 15, 201115 yr comment_421806 my deck is a cicada party zone! its funny they start about 5am until approx 10pm then the crickets go until 5am. there is honestly never a silent moment around our house, but i must say the cat is loving it, loves to chase them, bring them inside and let them go for mum & dad. isnt she just a gem! :roll: :lol: Report
February 15, 201115 yr comment_421817 Tons of cicadas and crickets up here atm too.. Haven't seen any white butterflies up these ways though, used to be tons growing up down your way Matt so must be limited to certain areas.. Report
February 15, 201115 yr comment_421861 We have heaps of white butterfly's here at the mo, which is good as my lizard loves to eat them. Report
February 15, 201115 yr comment_421885 as a side note are cicadas good for feading to frogs and dragons? Report
February 15, 201115 yr comment_421901 heaps of big crickets this year in the wiakato, and a good few Kihikihi[a] (Cicada). Kihikihi in NZ have a long larvae stage, 2-5 years I think... I just go and check http://www.teara.govt.nz/en/cicadas/2 Report
February 15, 201115 yr Author comment_421904 i thought it was 15 for some reason 3-5years underground is still impressive huh Report
February 16, 201115 yr comment_421946 yes - heaps of cicadas in Auckland. My cats are having great fun Last night.... One of the cats bought in a cicada at 1:30am, 2:45am and 4:30am... *sigh* she almost got punted out the cat door on the last one, but I was too slow! Luckily I am well trained to interuppted sleep at the moment seeing as though my daughter is only 2 1/2 months old. I'm guessing the weather has something to do with the massive amounts of cicadas and butterflies flying around. Report
February 16, 201115 yr Author comment_421948 Global warming; More bugs coming our way soon :lol: Report
February 17, 201115 yr comment_422225 The cicadas just went quiet outside and the silence is deafening. Report
February 17, 201115 yr comment_422228 The cicadas just went quiet outside and the silence is deafening. earthquake/tsunami coming? Report
February 17, 201115 yr comment_422237 Actually, we usually have loads but I havent heard ANY this year, they must have all migrated down to you... Report
February 17, 201115 yr comment_422269 i ahave thought the same thing, there must be more around this year. it has been deafening outside lately due to the cicadas & they start at dawn & don't shut up until after dark. Report
February 17, 201115 yr Author comment_422284 went back with the camera today http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=COXGe6MRW_Y (bit out of focus but the sounds is good ) Report
February 17, 201115 yr comment_422288 I'm wondering why I bothered clicking on that video when I could wait until daylight then see and hear the real thing? Report
February 18, 201115 yr comment_422329 now you can listen to them anytime you wish No need, I can hear them clearly right now. Report
February 18, 201115 yr comment_422332 I have only seen one or two white butterflies around here and the cicadas seem to be about the usual noise level. Not seen any skinks either but I suspect that is a northern thing 8) Report
February 18, 201115 yr Author comment_422334 No need, I can hear them clearly right now. you could listen to both, its like a surround sound effect Report
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.