My 1400L South American tank, pretty much done!

David R

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Looks great David!

It must be awesome to have it finished (apart from the black aro) after such a long time planning and setting it up.

I'd love to do something similar one day....

Just curious - what's a "JDM style" tank?

It looks truely awesome. I know what you mean about procrastination - I've done more on my tanks and stand in the last 2 days than I have in the last 2 months. Should be on track now.

The socks look a lot longer than I expected. I guess I should look at mine a bit better. Did you try the 100 micron inside the 50 micron?

Again - awesome! Well done.

Congrats on completion...

I have been following your thread on MonsterFishKeepers for a while, and it is awesome to finally see it all finished!

Looks fantastic and I like the fact you have a school of fish chilling out in lots of space than just a couple of big ones...

Well done!

Thanks all.

why was the first stand a fail?

The timber wasn't evenly gauged and it proved to be very difficult to level, there was a gap of 3-4mm almost all the way along the front edge, and I couldn't get to the back or the centre bits to check them. It would have worked if I had put all the timber through a thicknesser to get it exactly the same thickness.

Just curious - what's a "JDM style" tank?

Its become a term to describe highly overstocked tanks, there's a lot of people in Japan and not much space so having room for an 8' tank is a luxury very few can afford. JDM Style is when the tank is overstocked, but in a good way (lots of fish but lots of filtration and water changes too).

Just a quick question, what type of steel/thickness did you make the stand out off?

Pass, I got it through Hollywood. Its the second steel stand I've bought from them and both have been perfect and only needed a few shims to make up for the slightly uneven floor. Worth every cent IMO, so much easier than DIY!

The socks look a lot longer than I expected. I guess I should look at mine a bit better. Did you try the 100 micron inside the 50 micron?

There are different lengths available, I should actually take a couple of pics with the fulter full of media. I've actually lowered the height of the socks so only the top 3-4cm is out of the water. I was running just a 100 micron to start with but now I'm running a 200 micron inside a 50 micron and it doesn't seem to clog as quickly. They're easy to clean out too, I just put them upside down on a wire frame (originally made for climbing plants) and squirt them with the hose. Way better than filter wool IMO.

If ever you want to come check it out just let me know.

what are your plans for other fish?

Read the post. ;)

Saw it when it was dark and still, need to pop over some time with henward and have a decent look. Lovin' it though, will be great fully stocked.

Any time, just give me a call/text/pm.

The photo's dont show your laziboy in front of it yet??? :lol:

There's still a 5' in the way, and will probably be until the black aro gets big enough to move into the big tank. After that I'll be on the look out for a big long 4+ seater couch!! (and a bar fridge!)

I have serious drift-wood envy and definitely agree with you about the virtues of tanks that are wider than tall.

Thanks. The one on the far left is a big manuka stump I dug out (hard work!) and most of the rest are roots off a big old pohutukawa that fell over on Clarks Beach. I spotted it when we were out walking the dogs and came back with the saw later on and took as many cool shapes as I could fit in the car!