Massey hunt! 56k warning!

phoenix44

Soooo I got bored and decided to go and play around in the Turitea stream out at Massey. There isn't a huge amount of life in the water there, but I did see what I thought was either a trout or a tench. Then i kept exploring, saw an eel, played with it for a while and then went to find another one. :facepalm:

Here's some pics -

DSC03774Medium-1.jpg

DSC03773Medium-1.jpg

Yes, that is a rat.

DSC03771Medium-1.jpg

DSC03811Medium-1.jpg

DSC03777Medium-1.jpg

DSC03781Medium-1.jpg

Newest friend, don't think she liked me very much, but was none the less quite happy.

DSC03775Medium-1.jpg

Love the natural riverine arrangement of stones. Quite inspiring.

DSC03810Medium.jpg

Snake! :nilly: jk :lol:

DSC03790Medium.jpg

DSC03789Medium.jpg

DSC03801Medium.jpg

PS- Maybe this will make the pneumonia better Stella. :D

PS- Maybe this will make the pneumonia better Stella. :D

or just make me green with envy ;)

Nice photos, looks like a great trip!

Now that you have seen it during the daytime, try going back at night with a torch - you will be amazed at how much life is in there! Particularly look in the shallows, especially the beachy area in photo 3 (yeah, I know this stream well ;) ) there will be heaps of bullies sitting on the substrate, and at this time you will probably also see some smelt - small thin mid-water fish, very very fast. Maybe even some whitebait, probably the odd eel and cray.

I suspect there will be a conversion soon.....

Eels are awsome in a tank dude, I saved one when it could be mistaken for a garden worm. They can get abit aggressive to its tank mates but they'll also take food out of your hands. Ive had mine for two years now, hasnt tried to escape once and seems to be the most temperature tolerant.

So I got some bullies and even managed to find a koura! Only a little fella about 5cm long.

So I put him and the bullies in my spare tank. Never in my wildest dreams thought I'd be keeping natives, but its still early days.

Clearly I need to fix this tank - it's an absolute mess, but I'll sleep on it and figure something out by next weekend.

DSC03814Medium.jpg

DSC03819Medium.jpg

DSC03829Medium.jpg

DSC03833Medium.jpg

I saw him try and eat a blue ram just before. Hilarious!

You must have some pretty tame dreams then ;)

Agree with the :facepalm: regarding ram+heater+koura.... P44 WHAT are you thinking? Tut.

Also I hope that is a south-facing window. This time of year even a little direct sunlight can heat things up fast. If it is south-facing, being by a window can be good for air movement for cooling.

Remember koura can be dangerous to the health and longevity of small bullies. Not sure what size yours are. At least the tank is a lovely mess of hiding places for them all.

Love the bits of wood! Much promise there.

Sooooooo...... you are aware of what crayfish do to plants, right? :lol: 8)

Aside from those fairly major things to iron out, welcome to the dark side

excellent-frog.JPG

His name is bucket. I do not know why, but it seems appropriate.

The heater is off, it just lives there so I know where to find one :lol: . The blue ram is in there because it was bothering me being in the main tank.

The koura seems quite intelligent. Water is about 20C. Tank gets morning sunlight and that's about it.

This koura shall like plants. he is currently in training, but ill do another excursion next weekend and fix the ugliness of the tank.

The bullies are still small. I put a shrimp tab in the tank, but if the koura does not know what to do with that, im hoping he knows what to do with little fish. :facepalm: :o

In winter I might give him a never ending supply of minnows or something like that.

Tank will eventually have more wood, stones, pebbles and rocks. Also leaf litter like in the stream!

Do I need lots of water movement? I'd assume so, so a powerhead could be good. No heating = cheap tank! :D

The handy thing with native tanks is they are super-cheap to set up. Free fish, gravel, wood etc, all from a stream. :) Leaf litter is a great way to go - it looks so natural! The koura will nibble away at it too.

I am sure he will find the shrimp tab overnight. He may be too busy marauding at the moment.

Some water movement is useful, but unless you are keeping fastwater fish, movement from an airstone or filter is plenty for general water circulation. Koura and most bullies seem to do better with little real flow.

He seems happy this morning. :D

I think I have decided on how to set up the tank with stones and natural stream like properties :lol: but there is no matching nature, so I might just dump everything in and let things settle and see how that goes.

Maybe when the koura is bigger and stronger he can rearrange bits of the tank; but until then it'll have to be my job haha