the one and only reason i want to live in america.

disgustipated

They are classed as a noxious fish under the Freshwater Fisheries Regulations 1983 (SR 1983/277) (as at 03 September 2007), schedule 3 of regulation 65

65 Control of noxious fish

(1) Subject to subclause (2) of this regulation and to Part 7A of

these regulations, no person shall have in his possession or

under his control, or rear, raise, hatch, or consign any of those

species (including subspecies, hybrids, and variations of those

species) specified in Schedule 3 to these regulations (in this

regulation referred to as noxious fish).

(2) The DirectorGeneral

may authorise in writing any person to

have in his possession any noxious fish. Any such authorisation

may contain such conditions as the DirectorGeneral

considers necessary and any such conditions may be varied in

writing at any time.

(3) Every authority under this regulation may be revoked by the

DirectorGeneral

at any time and, upon revocation, the species

of noxious fish the subject of the authority may, after 24 hours

notice given to the holder of the revoked authority, be taken

without payment or other compensation by an officer authorised

in that behalf and destroyed or otherwise dealt with in

such manner as the DirectorGeneral

may direct.

Noxious species are:

Cyprinus carpio Live European carp, live Japanese ko i(including their live or viable eggs, milt, and ova)

Esox lucius Pike

Pygocentrus spp. Piranha

Rooseveltiella spp. Piranha

Serrasalmus spp. Piranha

Scardinius erythrophthalmus Rudd (other than within the Auckland Acclimatisation District)

Tilapia spp. Tilapia

Sarotherodon spp. Tilapia

thanks for the information. piranha keeping is clearly extremely restricted in nz.

i think what i want to know is, why are they listed as a noxious species?

i understand that these restrictions are in place to prevent outbreak of such species in NZ.. but would piranha even survive if accidentally released to new zealand's cold waterways?

i'm pretty sure oscar cichlids could do some damage to nz's fresh water species if released.

You haven't seen the movie? :wink:

i haven't seen "the" movie... but i'm sure it won't put me off wanting them...

surely there must be a piranha black market out there somewhere? come on, one of you dodgy fish guys must know something or know someone..... so come on, send me a PM, i can keep a secret... ;-)

... but would piranha even survive if accidentally released to new zealand's cold waterways?

There was one caught in England earlier this year, so they can survive for at least a short time

http://www.guardian.co.uk/environment/2010/jun/17/piranha-caught-in-folkstone-pond

and one found dead last year

http://www.thisisnorthdevon.co.uk/news/Piranha-fish-River-Torridge/article-1293631-detail/article.html

you don't want them.

I still have a small scar on my left hand from the stitches I needed. imagine telling a doctor that you got bitten by a fish.

He looked at me like i was absolutely insane. Mum just shrugged and said "Don't ask. This boy is going to be the end of me".

you don't want them.

I still have a small scar on my left hand from the stitches I needed. imagine telling a doctor that you got bitten by a fish.

He looked at me like i was absolutely insane. Mum just shrugged and said "Don't ask. This boy is going to be the end of me".

is that when you started digging holes :wink:

I think that pirahnas are actually boring fish for many, they cannot have tankmates and are not extremely intrigueing in shape or colour. Like someone said before, the only reason people buy them is so that they can try to exploit their predatory tendencies, I would much rather have a garfish or an african tigerfish. !drool:

I must agree with Fruju's comments.

I live in Ireland,and many species of pirhana are readily available here,the red-bellies being the most common.My LFS has a stunning display with them,lots of bogwood,which has stained the water,looking very natural.They have even spawned on a few occaisions in there.However,as has been mentioned,they are boring.Very boring.I've been in shops when these morons are asking how many pirhanas can they fit in the cheapest plastic tank the shop has.They're usually drug dealer types,and the pirahna help them maintain that 'tough man' image.However,the classifieds are full of people selling them,not quite the constantly ferocious creatures they imagined.

As a youngster in Gisborne,I had a mate who's father had apparantly kept them in the past,I think he had a license(or whatever) if I recall correctly.

Kelly Tarltons had them and apparently they were forever breeding but the fry had to be killed, as per some agreement on their license which restricted the number of fish they were allowed to keep.

FYI, I don't suggest viewing them on Youtube.....not very nice videos with ghastly titles such "Mouse VS Piranha" and so on.