fish happy?

kuhli loach

[Joefish wrote] Hi Khuli Loach,

If I were you, I would start with a small 'Amazon' type tank, with:

A pair if Apisto. agassizii 'Double Red' or cacatuoides

10x Cardinal Tetras (these are hardier than Neons, live longer, and have more colour)

About 5 Otos or cories, and maybe a small fancy Pleco, like Dekeyseria brachyura L168

5 Golden Pencilfish

3 Hatchetfish (I have to agree with you, they are awesome!)

I dont know whether or not these many fish will be happy in a tank size 60x30x30 ( I would only keep them if they are happy being in these numbers in this size tank, not just tolerating these conditions)

Note: Dekeyseria brachyura L168 (out of the question)

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Line 1: Yes

2:Yes

3: More cories and Yes

4:Maybe

5:Probably not.

You'd want more cories as they prefer groups and 2 would be rather lonely.

I'd Go with the pencils or danios OR hatchetfish.

Hatchetfish would be good because they occupy top of the tank. Danios do as well, but they are very fast and sometimes scary.

Thats just my opinion anyway.

thanks!

That sounds like a more realistic number, the pencilfish or the danios and the hatchetfish would be way too many I think.

Thats good if i can increse the number of corys, plecs, or small catfish, would 5 be enough?

because I was thinking of getting 3 kuhlis and since chichlids can be quite territorial especially when breeding I dont want to use up too much space on the tank floor.

yes these topics are part of my first thread, but when i created my first topic after awhile people stopped answering my questions so i thought that they had decided all my questions on this topic were answered. So i created more topics still after the same answers only to discover people still answering my first topic! lol!

yes these topics are part of my first thread, but when i created my first topic after awhile people stopped answering my questions so i thought that they had decided all my questions on this topic were answered. So i created more topics still after the same answers only to discover people still answering my first topic! lol!

Not all questions get answered on the same day. Especially on a weekend / during weekday work hours.

We do check the beginners section to make sure people are being helped, but it can take time :D

Thanks everyone now I'm pretty sure what I want to keep in my aquarium now

Heres the list again just to confirming

- A pair of Apisto. Agassizi or Cacatuoides or dwarf Gourami

- 10 cardinal, or emperor, or rummynosed, or penguin, or glowlight tetra

- 5 corys, or plecs, or small catfish and 3 kuhli loaches

5 golden pencilfish or zebra danios or hatchetfish

(I'm going to have to get my tank vegetation and decor sorted first so I can work out which of these fish would look nicest in my tank)

Just be aware that Dwarf gourami - Colisa laila are not very robust fish, or should that be the ones we manage to get now are not. They seem prone to ulcers, dropsy and just turning tail at the drop of a hat. Would not put them in a new setup until it has matured. Females are also very hard to come by, and when paired the female spends most of its time hiding from the male, which is usually quite aggressive.

by pleco i meant the bristlenose (i don't think there are any other plecos small enough for my aquarium)

And if the apistos would be too aggressive when breeding in a pair and dwarf gouramis too delicate could anyone suggest a fish I could keep in a pair for my size tank prehaps a few platys?

Make sure that if you but a "pleco" that its not a redspot or goldspot. They grow bigger then your tank :lol:

There are multiple versions of bristle nose. Standard, golden, spotted, starlight, long fin etc. There is still a fair bit of choice.

You could also have a small species like panaque maccus, I think hollywood fish farm has them under the name "Pretty peckolita". If anyone disagrees with this please say, as I plan to put these fish in 60-30-30's one day :wink:

Are platys semi shoalers? or would they be good in a pair or trio because they look to be quite hardy and peaceful. i think they would be quite nice in an aquarium my size and would add a good splash of colour. But not sure if they're suited to amazonian tank?

They would be an alternative to aggressive cockatoo chichlids or delicate dwarf gouramis

Just be aware that Dwarf gourami - Colisa laila are not very robust fish, or should that be the ones we manage to get now are not. They seem prone to ulcers, dropsy and just turning tail at the drop of a hat. Would not put them in a new setup until it has matured. Females are also very hard to come by, and when paired the female spends most of its time hiding from the male, which is usually quite aggressive.

what is the expected lifespan of Dwarf gourami? I've had mine for a year now and they are remarkably robust considering having endured being stuck in driftwood tunnels (with fin breakage/wounds and loss of scales as a result) and they did not succumb to whitspot or columnaris that were brought in by new fish. I had heard that they were not terribly hardy but put them in a newish tank anyway and they are doing great so far.

Mine only lasted about two years, the female died first, then the male with a big ulcer. The biggest thing is to look for a healthy one when you buy them, not angular in the head and skinny belly - a good fat plump one is the one you want :wink:

Thanks everyone now I'm pretty sure what I want to keep in my aquarium now

Heres the list again just to confirming

- A pair of Apisto. Agassizi or Cacatuoides or dwarf Gourami

- 10 cardinal, or emperor, or rummynosed, or penguin, or glowlight tetra

- 5 corys, or plecs, or small catfish and 3 kuhli loaches

5 golden pencilfish or zebra danios or hatchetfish

(I'm going to have to get my tank vegetation and decor sorted first so I can work out which of these fish would look nicest in my tank)

Hi Khuli Loach,

2nd line is correct for all those fish except Emperor Tetras. Those other ones all stay about 5cm or less, but Emperors grow to about 7cm.

thanks

I think I will have to cut down on cory numbers because I want a few more Kuhlis because the more of them there are the happier and more confident they are.

If I got 5 kuhlis insted of 3 how many corys should i keep?

or should I keep 3 Kulis and 5 corys or mabey 7 Kuhlis and no corys?

Not sure if thats too much for my aquarium

also are golden kuhli loaches just the same as regular banded Kuhlis or do they grow bigger or have different requirements?

You don't need cories. If you want 7 Khulis go for it! I think that will look cool. Personally I think cories are an ugly shape :lol:

Golden Khulis have the same requirements as normal Khulis, and grow to the same size.

Because the Emperors are bigger, if you wanted them you could have max. 5 Emperors in your tank vs 10 Cardinals or Rummynoses @ 3-4cm each.