Blackwater - cheap DIY black water

henward

Ok, we talked about oak leaves

but peat moss seems fine to use.

jsut wondering though, someone mentioned these tablet things made out of peat, are they usefull?

OR in bunnings or mitre 10 mega stores, there are yellow sacks of peat

is that aquarium friendly?

anyone tried it?

i guess im looking for cheaper ways to blacken the tanks.

I use garden peat (the big yellow bags) as the substrate in my mudfish tanks, with a layer of leaf litter over the top to make it a bit more wetland-like and create more hiding places. Works brilliantly! Organic substrate tanks are just SOOO easy to look after.

One tank of peat has been going for four years. THe tannins are much less now, but still there.

so those big yellow sacks - you buy in your average garden stores you use for aquariums?

i so thought there was fertiliser in it.

Am i mistaken?

Do you just put it in a stocking back to prevent it from going everywhere?

im scared lol

scared to use the yellow bags! so cheap though.

I hope this is a joke, I read something either here or on Fishkeepers about tea bags killing fish :-?

If you look around enough you'll find someone somewhere claiming anything will kill your fish. I read once that not completely defrosting your frozen bloodworms will kill your fish. Also, that you must use only clean water to wipe the tank glass because if you use spit some may get in the tank and effect the PH.

If you look around enough you'll find someone somewhere claiming anything will kill your fish. I read once that not completely defrosting your frozen bloodworms will kill your fish. Also, that you must use only clean water to wipe the tank glass because if you use spit some may get in the tank and effect the PH.

Yeah, internet's full of stuff eh? Just thought I'd be on the safe side cause someone had had an experience with it.

I have used the peat in the big yellow bags (still do but for breeding locusts now) You can put the peat in a bag in a box filter or in an electric filter and run it till you get the depth of colour you want. All of these things are basically producung tannic acid, the only difference is the type of other stuff present.

how bout the yellow ags of peat, kinda quare in shape when you buy them, who else has used them?

they have no fertil,isers on them?

why would it have fertilisers in, its not potting mix now is it.

is used in potting mix but shouldnt have any ferts in standard peat, other than natural ones maybe.

read bag if unsure