Passing of a Great Person - John Eastwood

Wok

I have with great sadness to say that John Eastwood had passed away early this morning.

:cry::cry::cry:

John was a great person who I had met at my first FNZAS Conference in Wellington, where he boldly nominated me onto the FNZAS executive committee at my first conference. From then on he became a very well respected person to me because he is able to get on with anyone that he met.

I am sure that there are many other fishkeepers around the country that share my sadness in his passing.

The best memories of him is at conferences where he was able to sell all the raffle tickets to everyone that was present, even if they had no money or weren't that interested in that particular raffle. I for one have spent many dollars on raffles that came to nothing, but this year was a great year for me.... Thanks John.

I can just imagine him now at the pearly gates with a raffle in hand and selling them to everyone lined up at the pearly gates. :lol:

John hosted the 2009 conference at his home and welcomed all there. He arranged baches all around the bay and I found him a great guy.

He was very generous in all that he did in regards to that conference.

He spent the last couple of years working on "his wife's home" on top of the hill and was very proud of it.

It was, as wok said, impossible not to but a raffle and the way he auctioned things of was to say the least, very costly.

He had a very special place in his heart for Caryl and my thought are with his family and Caryl as well

I didn't personally know John for long, but he absolutely welcomed me with open arms (and several demands to buy raffle tickets). The last time I saw him I recall him taking me aside and telling me that he had big hopes for me and that he knew I would do big things because I stood up to him! I hope I can do him proud.

John loved the Federation and looked forward to seeing all his old mates every year at conference. We are certainly better for knowing him.

My thoughts go out to his friends and family who no doubt will feel his loss immensely.

Would anyone who has any anecdotes or information on John's years with the FNZAS please email me so I can put together a worthy obit in the Feb AW.

We all know of his expertise selling raffles or auctioning goods. His ability to get money out of everyone and leave them smiling was amazing.

His repertoire of jokes was astounding and his ability to tell them had everyone in fits of laughter. It often took a while to figure out if he was telling you something true or whether what he was saying would turn out to be a joke. Sometimes some were still unsure by the end of it :lol:

Who could forget the enormous ice creams he used to get for Eddie each conference?

The photo above is a favourite of mine. It was taken at the Blenheim conference 2003.

It was a very nice service today.

With lots of praises about John and the history behind him as well.

There was a very nice fish shape wreath from the FNZAS. I do have a photo which I will post up later.

good to see a few fishy people there too.

I was shocked to hear of the passing of John Eastwood. He was a very special friend for the past 30 plus years. Graham and I are going to miss him alot.

Our thoughts go out to Gail, Jack the cat and all their family members..

John was a big man with a big heart. He gave so much and asked for little in return. I am going to miss the weekly emails and the monthly special emails which I looked forward to. We will miss you.

Jo and Graham