Fish list project

Jennifer

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Fish Sub committee present to the executive last month and the quarterly exec meeting last week approved the 2011-2012 fish sub committee action plan. All details are in the FNZAS Exec meeting minutes. We are continuing work on the Biosecurity New Zealand ornamental fish list. They use Fishbase so that is our reference as well.

• 2 weeks later...
why don't you team up with them or offer your knowledge and expertise in this matter? I know it would definitely be appreciated. And any good relationship is mutally beneficial...

Thus far i have added most of the fish on the list. mostly salt water as that is my area of expertise, however i have also added a large range of fresh water fish with the help of some of the freshwater importers.

Someone else with passion needs to add fish as already the freshwater importers are not importing some fish species due to the likely hood of them being destroyed if many die in quarantine.

At this stage it seems unlikely anything will be added as MAF is not replacing the head vet, so it might be a few years before they replace him.

First stage of approval is Erma , So that will take some time.

The Fish Hobby needs a society that has a voice as currently we are lame mullets . MAF has been influcened by people in the aquaculture industry who are assuming that the Hobby is major risk, so hence all the ridged standards to importing fish.

MAF approach to fish importing is to assume the worst , not reality.

The fact is that the aquaculture industry causes lots of issues . Money talks

http://wwf.panda.org/about_our_earth/blue_planet/problems/aquaculture/

yes Reef you make good points except that some of the work done on the saltwater stuff was at Genus and sub genus level not species level which is where we are at with the fresh water list

There are also mis spelling and mis labeling of fish in the fresh water list that needs to be addressed first

I know that work has been undertaken by a number of people to address this and gain credibility with a number of departments you mention

This reputation building researching and correcting of the many many mistakes on the current list is taking time.

Something which as an industry person you will understand I am sure, especially if your claims to adding some of these fish to the existing list are correct

As we are all have fulltime jobs elsewhere it is true that this is being done ad hoc but not incompetently and rest assured it is being done.

Maybe not as fast as you and other industry individuals would like but it is being done. I understand that you rarely if at all bring freshwater fish into the country so I am not sure of why you have been so disruptive to this process rather than adding value to those who are working hard ...all be it behind the sences ...to improve the freshwater fish importation list and availability of fish in NZ especially as it must be remebered that many changes have been made of late. It is also MAF who have decided which fish are high risk and therefore imposed limitations on what can be brought in on industry players in NZ it is their choice to bring in high risk fish or not. Our choice to pay what it will cost us.

You are right money does talk. We are building credibility, we are working towards a workable list and we are doing so for the passion and future of the hobby and we are doing it at personal cost. So give us a hand. Even if you dont want to, suggest to your mates or customers to join, to partake, to inform us of what they want.

We can only act on your behalf with time, patience and information. And we are doing our best so give us a break. It is a work in progress and we are working hard and making some progress...if this is not fast enough then lend a hand or undertake some of this work yourself .

Navarre

except that some of the work done on the saltwater stuff was at Genus and sub genus

Not really, all had to be down to species level, that is the way it has been for 6 years.

There are also mis spelling and mis labeling of fish in the fresh water list that needs to be addressed first

Not issue with mis spelling, its minor detail that does not effect the importation of fish.

It is also MAF who have decided which fish are high risk and therefore imposed limitations on what can be brought in on industry players in NZ it is their choice to bring in high risk fish or not. Our choice to pay what it will cost us.

many high risk fish are not really high risk, mostly classified as high risk because it is based on assumptions.

undertake some of this work yourself .

Love too, but i work 80 hours a week already.

many high risk fish are not really high risk, mostly classified as high risk because it is based on assumptions.

Not to cause any trouble or anything but isn't that all they can go on? I mean if something bad has happened somewhere else in the world couldn't it happen here?

• 1 month later...

As stakeholders for the hobby, the FNZAS Fish Sub-committee last week attended a meeting with MAF in Wellington. We are not at liberty to publicly discuss the project, or the plans with them in future. It is my hope that when the project is complete, or at some point in the near future, we can write up some of our results in the AW magazine for all members to see.

As stakeholders for the hobby, the FNZAS Fish Sub-committee last week attended a meeting with MAF in Wellington. We are not at liberty to publicly discuss the project,

Sounds very dynamic.

So basically nothing is being done.

Not sure what MAF has got to do with anything.

First process is to get ERMA approval for any fish, not MAF.

Sounds very dynamic.

So basically nothing is being done.

Not sure what MAF has got to do with anything.

First process is to get ERMA approval for any fish, not MAF.

Reef, in order to get anywhere in life, one needs to earn respect and trust. It is not a given thing. As a small fish within a much larger group the Fish Sub Committee & FNZAS are working hard to establish both and this is a huge step.

As Jennifer pointed out ''we are not at liberty to discuss the project". Therefore that is all that can currently be said on the topic (saying more would lose us respect and trust and prevent any further progress being made).

Would you please stop your continued needling of both the FNZAS and the Fish Sub Committee. Thank you.

Adrienne

Fish Sub Committee Vice Chair

• 5 months later...

Thanks but the login doesn't work (yes I am doing it the way it's described on the web page)

Was hoping that if any progress had been made regarding this issue (the list) that someone would have posted it in this thread instead of just linking to a bunch of minutes whenever someone is curious of any progress.

Is this not what this thread is for?

Apologies if I have misunderstood something

• 6 months later...

Seeing all the threads that are going around at the moment on the issue wouldn't it be prudent for the president to say a few words on progress and calm the masses down a bit and assure everyone that progress is being made? (And don't tell me to read minutes again. I've been tuned in and excited for two years now)

Hi. When this original post was made we were under the impression, somewhat naively, that it if we did the research on a given species, that we might be able to get it added to the list.

From what I now understand, and Reef correct me if I am wrong, the only practical way of getting a species added to the list is if you can prove that it was in the country prior to the cutoff period, which I think was 1998. So you need access to something like an importers records or some other form of very good evidence to prove the species was imported or in the country prior to the cutoff period. You then need to do a heap of aditional research. As far as I am aware Reef has had a number of species added to the list and had to do a lot of research in his own time to achieve this. So thanks Reef for all your hard work. No doubt you know far more about this than I and might be able to provide advice to anyones that is interested and is able to get hold of the right evidence.

If you want of get a species added which has not been imported in the past then I think, and again Reef correct me if I am wrong, that you need to go through all the appropriate official channels which is very expensive (i.e. thousands), and you are not guaranteed of success.