Fish Room

Joshlikesfish

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Probably not good to brag about it on a public forum either it is very easy to find out who you are and various agencies do monitor forums. Also not a good idea to make people curious in case they do go and poke around in their meter boxes and electrocute themselves or end up getting done for it.. Not to mention as Phoenix has that you could potentially loose your job of it if your job or someone who knows you reads this and takes offence.

I have found the floor a biggie for heat losses, I had a room with standard concrete floor that was always cold and the room was cold, when I stuck carpet and underlay in it make a huge difference to room temp. Yes I know hot air rises and cold air sinks so it shouldn't make much difference but I found it did. Carpet sucks though because it stinks when it gets wet and if it gets really wet you have to lift it dry it. I have seen rubber flooring used, poly with ply overtop, foam exercise mats and even artificial grass used in other peoples rooms.

Roof is another biggie it needs to be pretty well insulated and draft proof. Moisture I found pretty easy to keep at bay by running a dehumidifier set to about mid range, they are around 200W and mine ran half the time so it did use a little power but the advantage of having a nice dry mould free room was worth it to me. Plus they always say dry air is cheaper to heat so it might save you money in heating too.

Ventilation (is this what you were talking about with aeration?) is another difficult one, you don't want to pump cold air inside and cost more heating it but you don't want stagnant old stinky air in there. I find most people just leave their fishroom doors open on a sunny day but would be interested in any other solutions you might offer.

If you get sick of insulating your garage and trying to work it all out I just brought an ex refrigerated shipping container for a fishroom in Auckland it is all insulated and ready to go :)

Probably not good to brag about it on a public forum either it is very easy to find out who you are and various agencies do monitor forums. Also not a good idea to make people curious in case they do go and poke around in their meter boxes and electrocute themselves or end up getting done for it.. Not to mention as Phoenix has that you could potentially loose your job of it if your job or someone who knows you reads this and takes offence.

brag? haha far out it was a joke! some people are way to serious on here, as for various agencies monitoring forums im sure the ewrb (electrical workers registration board) have bigger fish to fry then worry about a comment made in jest.. also as for people poking around in there meter boxes, ECP51 is a new zealand standard that entitles homeowners to do their own electrical work legally, a electrical inspector must inspect the work done and wire the switchboard and give a COC Certificate of compliance), that being said if you are dumb enough to poke around in your meter box clearly labeled (DANGER LIVE CABLES) then you really are thick. Trust me i know the fines etc for this misconduct, im not a cowboy like the many other unregistered so called electricians in the trade today.

I happen to know josh he actually lives 5 mins from me, he knows im all about saftey, i have done previous work form him.

So im sorry if my comment was to illegal for some people, as said it was a joke, not meant to harm.

low power bill you say... how bout free power? just dont dob me in haahaha

I got the joke :wink:

as for airrate the room josh puting cold air in wud defeat the purpose but circulation the air and taking out some hott air wudnt be bad, small extract fan on with the lights maybe?
Thats my theory too but somebody mentioned aerating it.

:roll:

Yeah, that's a sensible thing to do. Put your lively-hood at risk for a measly 50 bucks a month.

My grandparents spent $300 in one month awhile back....

I have found the floor a biggie for heat losses, I had a room with standard concrete floor that was always cold and the room was cold, when I stuck carpet and underlay in it make a huge difference to room temp. Yes I know hot air rises and cold air sinks so it shouldn't make much difference but I found it did. Carpet sucks though because it stinks when it gets wet and if it gets really wet you have to lift it dry it. I have seen rubber flooring used, poly with ply overtop, foam exercise mats and even artificial grass used in other peoples rooms.

Roof is another biggie it needs to be pretty well insulated and draft proof. Moisture I found pretty easy to keep at bay by running a dehumidifier set to about mid range, they are around 200W and mine ran half the time so it did use a little power but the advantage of having a nice dry mould free room was worth it to me. Plus they always say dry air is cheaper to heat so it might save you money in heating too.

Ventilation (is this what you were talking about with aeration?) is another difficult one, you don't want to pump cold air inside and cost more heating it but you don't want stagnant old stinky air in there. I find most people just leave their fishroom doors open on a sunny day but would be interested in any other solutions you might offer.

If you get sick of insulating your garage and trying to work it all out I just brought an ex refrigerated shipping container for a fishroom in Auckland it is all insulated and ready to go :)

Wow where to start haha... Actually I'll just absorb it all in and ask how much the container cost?

Will do a decent reply later haha

Yeah the poly panels are good but quite expensive unless you can score some cheap from someone you know or spot it lying around being unused..
You should see if you can find some poly panel (stuff they build cool stores out of) and use that for your wall, instant wall and it's pre-insulated.
That'd be good. Expensive in what sense? I'm hoping to only spend $200-300 on this wall+insulation. Or am I dreaming?

2nds are $20-30 per square m so would probably cost thousands rather than hundreds to do it.. As with everything though if you know someone who has a pile of it in their back yard or see a building getting demolished with a cool room you might get some free or cheap just have to find the stuff :) Before I wanted some I found out one chiller room got bulldozed and saw a whole pile of panels goto the dump.

Plan as of yet is to insulate a ply wall with poly or the huge bales of government subsidised underfloor insulation left over from under my parents house. Will find out the insulation rating

Also have an old sink in under the house which we're going to fix in and plumb using a hose and waste water outlet we have on the side of the garage :D

As already mentioned,the insulation is very important,and must be properly sealed and draught proof.Having said that,the humidity can cause problems,and the easiest way around this is to install a small extractor fan,and have it on a timer,say to come on for 15mins every 2hrs,a bit of trial and error will get good results.You also need to take into account it could get too hot in summer,leaving the door open may be the simplest solution there.

For filtration,I use a large pond type air pump(eg Blagdon Koi Air)and a lot of sponge filters.

Depending on how high your shed roof is,you could install an attic water tank up high,and the have a hose run down to gravity feed your top ups when doing water changes.Just saves the back!

Over here we insulate with a product called Kingspan,theres other brands as well,eg Xtratherm.Dearer than poly,but a hell of a lot more efficient,and thinner.

Had to stop there as lunch break was over :(

A lot of people use a small fan heater to heat their fish rooms,the small 2kW type,and on a timer,again like the extractor,you would set it to come on for a short period every hour or so,whatever needed to maintain the room temp.But I would rather pay a little extra and heat each tank individually.My main reason for this is after reading a post by a fellow forum member who lost hundreds of fish,everything from breeding groups of L-nos,corys,etc through to very rare and quite expensive species of all sorts,when he went away for three nights and returned to find the heater had stuck on,and he had a very expensive mess of cooked fish to clean up,utterly heartbreaking.Also easier to have different temps for different species.

For a similar reason,you'd obviously be best to filter each tank individualy rather than a centralised system,in case of disease,etc.

The Eheim Ecco Pro range of externals are good value,and are very low wattage,often less than much lower rated internal.

Thanks to my dads wood work expertise...

100_0584640x480.jpgv

And with the help of SamH, I now have...

100_0585640x480.jpg

Bottom left are my babies. Shocked that they can be seen from that distance. This rack is dedicated to fighters. Just need to sort out the power and get the air pumps running and i'm set :D (and a 60L tank for the middle)

Acara-Not too keen on having all my fish die. Individually heating would be the way to go. Was thinking of having unheated jars-bottles with my fighter males in them but they'll only be ones i've bred and not too much of a loss if something goes wrong.

Insulation is going to be the expensive part for me. This fish room is a perfect excuse to save my grandparents money in the long run and get something I want. I'm going to start saving towards insulation. Need to price it all.

Also need an air compressor and a fan for circulation