Fish Room

Joshlikesfish

Hey everyone. I'm able to get a "fish room" for christmas. I am able to put a wall up in the garage, giving me a space of 1.7mx6m.

My dad and I would be building a wall, fititng a door, and insulating it. The other three walls of the garage are not insulated much and have windows which we'll be blocking up with poly

Does this sound good? My other option is the 2.4m-3m shed

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sounds good :)

Just plan everything really well before you do anything. The more insulation you put in and the more you draft proof it etc then the more efficient it will be. Also think of things like what you are going to stick on the floor (assuming you have a concrete floor) and think of locating a drain/water supply before you stick tanks in there.

It is a shame you aren't closer I am tearing all my poly out of my room soon you could have had that to get you started it is all fireproof stuff to.

The room in the garage sounds good, less building and it will also have power. I'd insulate it with poly (cheaper and cleaner than batts), and line it with coreflute which will also help with the insulation. 1.7M isn't very wide though, but I guess it depends how wide your biggest tank is. You could have a bank of tanks up to 600mm wide on one side and still have a reasonable amount of room to work, but if they were narrower it would be better.

Fish rooms are great, its so good not having to worry about the carpet when doing water changes!! :lol:

Nearest water supply is the hose outside. Was thinking about putting in a bench with a tap etc. Have an old sink, just need to set it up.

1.7m is far as we can go, otherwise we cant use the garage door. Was going to have a bunch of 60-30's as grow outs. Maybe even figure out how to heat the room for betta jars :roll:

I was also hoping to get a stand built that could house two 4ftrs that i'll get my first discus in :D

I want to keep plecs, bettas, dwarf cichlids and discus. Opps, i ment to say breed :lol:

I was also hoping to get a stand built that could house two 4ftrs that i'll get my first discus in :D

If your dad is going to frame up the wall then surely you guys can work out the stand! They aren't that hard if you can cut and measure accurately.

The ambient air temperature will be similar to the tanks if its well insulated (you felt how warm my room was!) although if it drops it will take a while to warm back up if the tanks are the only heat source. Having a fan heater on a thermostat set a couple of degrees higher than what you want your tanks will mean the heaters only run when you add cold water. You could probably do away with heaters in small tanks, but IMO its not worth it.

What are you going to do for filtration?

Oi leave my tank alone :) That is a beauty, wonder how scratched it would be having been used at the zoo though..

If you only have 1.7m then it would be good to run a 6m length of tanks down one side you could fit ALOT of tanks in there and depending on how high you wanted to go you can go at least 3 high maybe even 4 high with some of them.

I found major heat losses came through the floor so ran carpet and underlay in my fishroom it made it far warmer but then it was a pain when it got wet so consider what you might want to do there before you put tanks in.

Also I have seen a few fish rooms well made using heavy duty brackets that bolt to the walls, this looks really tidy and keeps stands off the floor so gives you more floor space etc.

Aims of the fish room is to lower the power bill =p

David

Dads already making me a stand for 4 x 600mm tanks :wink: He works for robinson marine. Been making things out of wood all his life :D

Was hoping I could use unheated jars etc for individual male betta's.

Filtration of the tanks or the room? :-?

Ryan

That tank is pretty sweet haha. If I had the money, it would be mine :lol:

I was going to use the wall. Already have half a bench and some tanks along it :D

I'm really bad when it comes to spillages :oops:

My stands were going to hopefully leave a bit of space underneath. Garage doesn't have the height to go three tanks up though :(

It costs me the same to heat 60 odd tanks in my room as it did 9 tanks in my unlined garage.

Costs even less in summer

I have about nine tanks in an unlined garage. I want 60 :lol:

hey do you want the number of the place where i got my poly from its cheap
That'd be awesome when the time comes :D

Put some serious thought into this. Will need to put poly on the tree existing walls as I cannot pull up the boards to insulate. No insulation is currently in them. Will also need to figure out how to insulate the floor that i will wet often with my clumsyness. Then the roof.

How do I airate this also?

what a cool Dad

8)

Grandads the one letting me, dad just has to help :wink:

i run a dehumidifier in my room after it started getting moldy and its stopped the mold. when building it it would be best to build it like a bathroom and have waterproof walls. like core flute
Is it expensive to run? The other three garage walls will need insulating with something water proof in that case