CPD and fry photos.

Ice222

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've only got 5 that I can sell at $10 each, and one of them you probably don't want, since it's a bit runty and doesn't look quite perfect. I've only bread them once so far, and have ended up keeping about half of them for future breeding

who, me or Ice222? I don't have any for sale.

Ice222 of course :facepalm: :lol:

I've only got 5 that I can sell at $10 each, and one of them you probably don't want, since it's a bit runty and doesn't look quite perfect. I've only bread them once so far, and have ended up keeping about half of them for future breeding

OK, I'll probably give it a miss for now, I kind of want to get a group of them together. But that's a good price you're selling them for :)

It's official, I have a fry!

Found a tiny black sliver darting about in the water from the water change. Have sucked it out with a dropper and it looks like the photo from Day 4 or just after. Very tiny, and very fast :bounce:

It may be a coincidence but this is the first I've found since I took the gourami out just under a week ago. I am so pleased :happy2:

Awesome :D! Those naughty gouramis, both types of gourami I have are real food hogs. I find that CPDs can also eat their own fry/ eggs, but CPDs aren't very vicious at hunting them down like a gourami might be, and the fry can actually be pretty darn quick. Good luck with raising your fry :)

When I saw this in the water change earlier I actually thought it was a dragonfly nymph. The only thing that gave it away was the angry swimming manner of a little fish.

Here is a photo just taken of one of the fry. It appears to be sitting on the side of the glass in a most non-fishy manner. The finger is my little finger so you can see what a miniscule sliver it is.

CPDfry19june2011002.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Ssucked up another 2 tiny black fry in the water change today.

Haven't seen any of the others grown more yet, not sure where they are, or IF they are still.

I did discover a lot of ostracods in the dregs of the water change today while hunting for fry, there is definitely plenty of live food in the tank for the fry aside from what I put in there.

One trick to not suck up fry is to have a thumb over the end of the siphon where the water comes out into a bucket. By closing your thumb over the opening, you can control the flow of water and even completely stop it. Usually when I do suck up any fry, I manage to stop the flow quiuckly enough that they're able to swim back out of the tube themselves. I don't actually use a normal gravel siphon though, I find them annoying since you need water past a certain depth to start it. I just use a piece of hose and use something similar to a baster with a bigger pump to start the siphoning action. It's very useful since I have a lot of overly curious fish that don't seem to be afraid of the siphon :roll:.

That would be a good idea but I would need an arm span of about 4 metres long, my tank is a little high off the ground for that to work for me, even if I put the bucket on a chair. Often what I do is wave the bottom end around enough to scare them off and stir up the bottom so I can pick up the oto poop. :happy2:

Ah that's a shame! I'm a lazy person, that's why the chairs and stools I need to wc my tanks end up sitting right next to the tanks where I need them. I even bought rounded pegs to clip the hoses in place while I siphon to leave a hand free to trim some plants while I'm at it.

ahhh for hands free siphon I have a hole drilled in the bucket big enough to put a cable tie through, and on the inside of the bucket is a little piece of hose. The cable tie goes through the hole, around the hose, and back out the hole, then closes on the outside of the hole and is locked in place by the end that is bigger than the hole. The siphon hose then feeds through the short bucket hose and always pours straight into the bottom of the bucket. ta daaaaaaaaaaa

:smot:

• 4 weeks later...

so for the last 2 weeks or so there have been 2 fry residing in the top level of the tank, now starting to go for adult food. Not sure what happened to the ones I sucked up in the water change though.

Then this evening I found Fry 3 :bounce: