Kaka

livingart

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The post operative radiographs taken today (see attached) show that the pins placed in the left radius and ulna are in good position and the ends of the broken bones are now well aligned. The pins were slightly too long and so were trimmed back slighty. The infection that is present under the skin in the area is slightly reduced and we are still keeping the wing bandaged to keep that covered and to help keep the fracture stable in the short term. The bird is receiving pain relief and antibiotics and is still eating well.

The plan is to hold him until the fractures are stable enough that the pins can be removed. This may take 3-4 weeks, possibly longer

:hail::hail::hail: to the massey wildlife team

kakatepunaquarrya.jpg

That is actually very good reduction of that fracture. It is such a tiny bone - they make it look so easy! :D

It is best if the ends of the fracture align as closely as possible but if there is a delay in reducing the fracture (bringing the ends in line) then a bone 'callus' will start to form, much like scar tissue but it can't fully solidify because it is continually moving. Now that the pin is in place, the callus that starts to form will not be disrupted and new bone cells will form a big bandage over the entire fracture site. The longer the gap, the longer it takes to heal.

Love the film, I believe that is mammography film - it shows stunning detail - you can even see detail in the soft tissue!

Parrots have such long necks, but they are very thin and covered with a load of feathers - I used to call my guys 'pencil-necked geeks.' :lol:

Usually removed. They can be quite irritating and are open to the environment so can be a source of infection straight into the bone which is why they need to be monitored closely during healing. If they loosen for any reason, the movement can prevent healing. It is a waiting game now to make sure no complications occur.

I would guess that they placed pins because the fractures were so clean and they could be reduced so well, with very good union. Otherwise, if the bone was in many pieces they may have used a plate or external fixateur (sort of like scaffolding holding the bones in line from outside the body). Good that the fractures were mid shaft, that makes it much easier.

Shame I didn't see this thread earlier (though its all worked out anyhow!)

Theres a vet in Rotorua who deals in birds - he fixes fractures for the NZ Falcons at Wingspan if and when they come in. So your Kaka wouldn't have had to go as far/been as far away.

But as I said, seems to have worked out :D

• 4 weeks later...

sorry got busy and forgot about it

the operation was a success but there was some nerve damage and circulation loss to the end of the wing

this necessitated amputation of the end of the wing meaning the bird couldn't be returned to the wild

luckily it looks like the wellington zoo may be able to offer the bird a home to live its days out :hail: