Kaka

livingart

All Natives are 100% funded for by the govt., (especially something as precious as this) so they should organise transport; either to my place or the clinic directly.

I have saved this pic of the xray and will ask to speak to Brett tomorrow. Jen, If you can; could you please let him know that I will be coming (without the lorikeet :o ) to talk to who ever wants to listen :lol:

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i liked the break, as you said nice and clean

i even offered to make stainless steel pins or plates for it :D

bird is excellent to handle, i just reach in slowly and pick it up

no gloves

only tried to bite when i laid it on its back and extended the wing for x-ray

"T" is coming down anyway for a party

thanks guys

this is a special bird

LA, I haven't heard back yet from the txt message I sent but we usually email back and forth so I just sent an email as well. I asked what the procedure was for taking the bird in. We may not hear back until tomorrow but I will keep you updated. Be prepared to send it down! :D

fingers crossed for the power of the fishroom forum :hail:

did 4 practice runs of picking the bird up and putting in a cat cage to prepare it for going to the vets today

i think i have fallen in love with it :D

it lets me do anything with it

it is a bit light in the breast muscle so have been feeding it up

Hmm, I haven't heard back from my email. They must be busy, as usual. Anyway, I would just take the bird in. They won't really be able to offer much advice without seeing it and they will very likely want to retake the radiograph to get a clearer film.

See the following website that details what do do if you need to bring in injured wildlife:

http://wildlife.massey.ac.nz/clinic/clinic_intro.asp

I heard back and Bridey can talk to one of you. Just send me an email with your number and I can have her call you. She will likely ask you if you have stabilised the fracture with a figure 8 bandage. I have a slideshow that shows you how to do that if you need it, just let me know.

Send me your contact details Mark.

They reckon 2 pins + a fig 8 bandage is the way to go to ensure the bones heal in the right position. Will be better for rehab as well.

Vet is happy to talk to you and discuss options.

She is happy for the bird to be treated in TGA - can advice vet in TGA what to do; or bird can be sent down here and can treat it here which would probably be the best option.

an update on the kaka from massey uni avian vet team

Hi guys,

Thanks so much for sending your lovely kaka our way. The bird is doing well and is eating and putting on weight. We did xrays yesterday to recheck the fracture and it looks like it has displaced slighly further than shown on previous xrays, likely a result of the muscles of the wing contracting, which means it will definitely require surgery to fix. Blood tests have shown no significant findings although do indicate that there might be an infection present somewhere.

The surgery is planned for tomorrow and I'll keep you posted on how it goes. Basically we are going to place a pin in each of the bones to align them properly and ensure they heal straight. It is a pretty straight forward procedure in a fresh fracture but this one is already a bit older (we don't know how long the bird had it before it was found) and that makes the surgery more difficult and more prone to complications like bleeding, poor healing and poor bone alignment. However, we will give it a good go tomorrow. All things going well, the bird will have another set of xrays on Thursday to check the bone alignment after the surgery.

The bird is on pain relief and antibiotics at the moment.

Thanks again for sending us your wee bird, please let me know if you have any questions or comments.

Kind regards,

Baukje Lenting

Veterinary resident in avian, wildlife and zoo animal health

It never ceases to amaze me that animals KNOW when they're being helped. Just awesome that they're so clever.

Hope it recovers soon :) (and good on you!)

I think it tends to be more of a case that many injured birds, and many other prey animals, tend to become very passive. I bet you'll find that once the kaka recovers it will be nowhere near as tame.

I think it tends to be more of a case that many injured birds, and many other prey animals, tend to become very passive. I bet you'll find that once the kaka recovers it will be nowhere near as tame.

We had sheep for a while, went out one morning and found one with its leg tangled and twisted in between some fencing wires. We got him free but it bled like mad and I had to stand there applying pressure while we got some more supplies out. He stood perfectly still for me and we definitely had his trust from that day forward.

So glad to hear the Kaka is being looked after (and that its on pain meds!) Fingers crossed for a good result. Please keep us posted.

update from yesterday

The surgery went well today, and the kaka recovered well. We placed a pin in the radius and another in the ulna. There did appear to be infection under the skin around the fracture, even though there was no obvious wound over the fracture so we've increased the amount of antibiotics the bird is on. Tomorrow we plan to do some repeat radiographs to check the alignment of everything now that the pins are in - we'll keep you posted!

:hail::hail::hail: