A.PROPHECY

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

oh great!

:roll:

Lets hope no one buys them.

Actually lets hope no one orders them in.

Someone will order them in, they are cool they are the closest thing you can get to a piranha.. There was a listing for 2 massive ones in a 150 all in one tank on trademe a while back apparently sold by the local animates so it does happen :(

I have had extensive experience with pacus. LOVE THEM but cant keep them after 2 years.

you can stunt their growth, and they dotn grow bigh, thats cruel, and while stunting, means starving, theywill kill and eat anything they can get.

reed hook pacus are a better option i reckon, why not bring those in.

Reed hook metynis, also known as a red hook pacu - growns to only 40cm.

i have seen in thailand, pacus that grew to a massive size! dwarfs even a GAR and Redtail cat!

pacus are huge. i had one 60cms, ate 2x 1 foot plecos, and tried to eat the heater.... discovered heater cos i upt my hand in tank and felt a sharp tingle:)

they also eat mice, even rats..........

anything really.

bringing them in is fine, but they should have a warning.

most of them will end up dying im sure, or put down or maybe released in western springs perhaps?

yeah, it is abit stupid selling them, but then again, alot of people buy arowanas and put them in a 4 or 5 foot tank, thinking its fine, 1 year later, its too big, and advertised on TM.

bringing them in is fine,

most of them will end up dying im sure, or put down or maybe released in western springs perhaps?

So why is it fine? :-?

They're about the #1 fish that should never be sold in shops here. They get to 3' long, 2' high, 6"+ thick, and unlike most of the other monsters sold for aquaria they are very active, like to school, and aren't flexible at all. Out of a 3' silver aro, 3' snakehead, 3' redtailed cat and a 3' pacu the pacu will need a far bigger tank than the others to be housed properly.

In asia where its warm enough to keep them as pond fish, then different story, but in NZ I doubt if anyone outside the Napier aquarium has a tank suitable to house them.

*edit*

sometimes a picture is worth a thousand words...

http://www.arowana.asia/freshwater%20pacu.jpg

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_gaEFTk6fMG8/S ... /Pacu2.jpg