Birthday tank

Jennifer

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow that is fantastic Jennifer :hail::D :happy2: :happy1: :love: :P:bow: !drool: :bounce:

It looks very much like a Dutch tank :hail: Well done :bow:

I still really love that substrate :P I decided to ditch the idea of the Burnt Sienna stuff and I have all of my plants in pots with sphagnum peat moss and JBL root balls.

Can you please update us on all the plants you currently have in there? :hail: :bounce:

Joe :D

very nice

is that where my crypt went?

Yes, it is in there with 5 new leaves but it lost the leaf it had when you sent it. :-?

Can you please update us on all the plants you currently have in there?

Here you go Joe.

Anubias barteri v. barteri

Anubias barteri v. 'nana'

Anubias barteri v. 'nana golden'

Anubias barteri v. nana 'petite'

Anubias barteri v. 'marble'

Anubias minima 'marble'

Anubias afzelli

Bolbitis heudelotti

Cryptocoryne wendtii de witt 'Red'

Cryptocoryne walkerii

Cryptocoryne cordata

Cryptocoryne retrospiralis

Cryptocoryne cordata 'blassei'

Echinodorus x. 'Red Special'

Echinodorus x. 'Red Rose'

Echinodorus x. 'Ozelot'

Echinodorus x. 'Leopard'

Echinodorus x. 'Horemani'

Echinodorus x. 'Parviflorus'

Ludwigia arcuata

Ludwigia glandulosa

Ludwigia repens

Rotala macrandra

Microsorum pteropus v.'Windeløv'

Microsorum pteropus v. 'narrow leaf'

Nymphaea lotus 'Zenkeri red'

Mayaca fluviatilis (red pine)

Vesicularia montagnei

Barclaya longifolia 'green'

Barclaya longifolia 'red'

I remember a while ago people were unsure if this is what it was, I think it needs to be flowered to know exactly.
Bob Ward told me it was Mayaca, so I believed him, but yes, I am hoping to start it emersed (or give it to Alan who is an expert at emersed plants).

Jen, whereabouts is the glandulosa?
Between the R. macrandra and L. repens. :oops:

We have grown it emersed, and the results were inconclusive. :nilly:

Some was wallichii and some was the other, but wallichii was more likely.

Oh well, it looks cute so I don't really care. :happy2: But I am sure once the martini wears off I will feel the responsibility and think about growing it emersed so it can flower... :oops:

ohh that's the green plant we were talking about that looks like aromatica?
No, that isn't the one we were talking about. This one has very dark green leaves with burgundy tips. One of my all time favourite plants but I think the hot weather this week is killing it. :(

Thanks guys. The balansae was not doing well as the tank got more acidic from the increasing CO2 so I pulled it out and now have barclaya in its place which is proving to be quite the weed. Pups anyone?

oh that sucks, so wouldn't do very well in a 30C tank?

Yeah, it doesn't like anything much over 25 degrees but this week the tank has been up at 30 for most of the week. :( I could have turned off the lights to cool it down but I didn't want the crypts to melt again. :roll: I will be so sad if I loose my glandulosa...I never see it around here... &c:ry

:lol:

Is it still going well? If so, do you have any recent pics? I really find that it can be difficult, especially when the temp climbs but it is good to know it is readily available. :hail:

OMG you found some Anubias afzelli :hail: I heard somewhere that it is very hard to come by in NZ. It's now in good hands too :hail:

There are two types of Mayaca common in aquariums: M. fluviatilis and M. sellowiana. Both of there plants are green, and M. sellowiana has longer, wispy leaves that give it a fluffy appearence. I'm not sure if they're currently in NZ. There are a few more species, and I think there is a red Mayaca (not sure though), but in NZ red pine is always Rotala wallichii or similar types of Rotala.

pny_10390b500.jpg

Mayaca fluviatilis - Green Pine

Mayaca%20Sellowiana_Popup_L.jpg

Mayaca sellowiana - Green Pine

rotalaw5.jpg

Rotala wallichii - Red Pine