June 14, 201016 yr comment_377395 anyone used this? there is no way ic an feed discus 6 times a day with brine shrimp. pellets is my main goal, BUT, has anyone used this? http://www.fosterandsmithaquatics.com/P ... 2004&Nty=1 Report
June 14, 201016 yr comment_377398 I remember someone did import and sell a heap of them a while back, I think the general consensus was they were crap can't remember the reason why though? Report
June 14, 201016 yr comment_377404 They may be alright if you don't need a large supply of bs but I don't think that they can hatch a very large quantity of bs compared to the old coke bottle method. Report
June 14, 201016 yr comment_377412 Tim from the Killi club had them and use to sell them. They worked but not too well and as Alan mentioned, will only feed one tank at a time. Interestingly enough, he wasnt using them on any of my visits to his fish room I thought of using a few myself but stayed away from the idea because of 2 reasons, firstly, I think its better to feed small feeds a few times a day (or as Im doing now once a day) so that fry are a bit peckish and will eat more when food is there in bulk so to speak and secondly because I know it would only be a matter of time before I damaged them through turning around and hitting them accidently Report
June 14, 201016 yr comment_377417 They are good if you only want to feed one tank, - reverted to the jar method though in the end. After a while the suction cups go brittle and then you end up with everything that was in the hatchery floating around in the tank because it would invert itself- the shells are a real nuisance to get rid of :evil: Report
June 14, 201016 yr comment_377418 I'm pretty sure LA and Cricketman are doing something like that in a marine set up....they may be able to help you. Report
June 14, 201016 yr comment_377420 yes used them for awhile but like others reverted to the coke bottle system Report
June 14, 201016 yr comment_377425 When I had the fish house and was breeding heaps of fish I built one by puting baffles into a small tank and painting it black except for a small area at one end and an airstone at the other. The nuplii swim towards the light and you can siphon or net them out without the shells. I also reverted to coke bottles as it was a poor hatch rate and wasted a lot of eggs. Report
June 14, 201016 yr comment_377433 They don’t get great reviews because the separation of salt and fresh water doesn’t seem to work as well as advertised so for soft water fish you end up with high salt content in tanks that can kill them and secondly because even if they do work the biggest and greediest fish will sit by the opening and eat them one by one as they swim out leaving the smaller fish hungry. Report
June 14, 201016 yr comment_377443 biggest and greediest fish will sit by the opening and eat them one by one as they swim out leaving the smaller fish hungry. Wouldn't want to unintentionally breed the smart fish that know where the food comes from, would we? Report
June 15, 201016 yr comment_377540 You want me to dig out my instructions? I use natural sea water, if you use something like San Francisco Bay, or JBL Novotemia the water temp should be about 26 deg, if you use the Burkhart ones it should be about 29 deg. Report
June 15, 201016 yr comment_377587 Erk, cannot find them, but here are some off another forum. http://www.petfish.net/forum/index.php?topic=64075.0 Report
June 15, 201016 yr comment_377598 i am concerned with the salt mixing and keeping it in with fry. Report
June 15, 201016 yr comment_377632 I have a couple. They seem to work alright for me tho they tended to produce in small amounts, and you still had to change them every few days to keep them producing. I havent used them for a while as they didnt fit well in my tank as I keep water level too high. Report
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.