I couldnt help myself!

Nymox

Royal Whiptail

IMG_2056.jpg

The fin extentions on this guy are amazing, longer then the fish itself.

Leopard Syno

IMG_2054.jpg

Just fell in love with the patterning.

Only went in for 4 female rainbows haha, was hard to stop there too with all the great selection at Animal Antics. :bounce:

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh very nice! :D

your syno is what comes in as an "even spotted syno" (I think this one is too) from one of the wholesale lists. They like being in groups and come from Lake Tanganyika in Africa. They breed in a very unique manner, using some unsuspecting mouth brooding cichlids as a 'nanny' for their eggs.

post more pics as your whiptail settles in! I love these royals.

Cool thanks for the heads up on the syno, fell in love with syno's from the first time I layed eyes on one so it was only a matter of time haha.

Ive just let him them out of the baggy now so will give the glass a clean tonight and try get some snaps. Tank is nearish to a window so I get nothing but relection during the day.

Another one of the rainbow females has dropsy, just as a heads up to anyone whos considering getting some dwarf neons they seem to be quite fragile, nothing wrong with the pet store where I got them they were in lovely conditions. I think its just the nature of the fish. Dropsy is really hard to see on them having such tiny scales too, I'll treat her in the hospital tank and give her a few days see what happens but I think her time is almost up already.

I would not ID it just yet. There are a few species it could be; petricola and multipunctatus jump to mind, however the patterns on your syno are relatively off from what I would have imagined.

maybe firenzenz will know cause he has bred multipunctatus in his tank.

A lot of synos change colours drastically as they mature and have 3 stages of colour and pattern development from juvenile, sub-adult and then adult. Euptera is a great example of this. Can't comment on what you have though - those large spots at the back are throwing me off.

I would not ID it just yet. There are a few species it could be; petricola and multipunctatus jump to mind, however the patterns on your syno are relatively off from what I would have imagined.

maybe firenzenz will know cause he has bred multipunctatus in his tank.

A lot of synos change colours drastically as they mature and have 3 stages of colour and pattern development from juvenile, sub-adult and then adult. Euptera is a great example of this. Can't comment on what you have though - those large spots at the back are throwing me off.

Not a cuckoo

Here's one of mine

DSC_0062.jpg

Not petricola or lucipinnis either

Body spots look like that of 'Decora' but head shape and eyes look wrong, as is patterning.

If it were pure and from rift valley leading dorsal ray would be all black and dorsal would be be all black with white distal margin. Also this fish only seems to have partial black of caudal fin lobes.

I would tend to Hybrid hence the lack of known name.

But is very cute for sure- looks more of a Pepe than Pedro with those small peppery spots

What would RRP be P44?

The "even spotted syno" "(petricola)" [as is mentioned on one list] should retail for about $100 or so, bit less if the store is locally owned and has lower overheads associated with a one off customer order, bit higher if it has to sit in the tank.

cuckoo's / multipunctatus should be about $60-$70 each retail.

There is a staggering price difference between the 2 fish.

Nymox - Ask the store what it was purchased as if you are very keen on an ID. I will agree with firenzenz on this one.

Lol... 'trained' or just artificially selected for?

Punishable by the death sentence in my tank. My synos are trained to not eat small fish and uproot plants. Even my old syno daintily edges around the plants as she moves about. :lol:

Like the name Asani, well done :P

ouch lol, although Id have to admit Id be less tolerant if my tank was as well planted as yours, Ive been through this with my fire eel many a time haha would think ID have gotten used to it.

This kinda gives an idea how ridiculously long Arthurs fin extentions really are, top one goes off the picture a good 2 cms at least.

Royalwhiptail.jpg

This one just shows the patterning, hes a cutey though.

whiptailroyal.jpg

Still to early to get a good shot I get nothing but curtain reflection.

Like the name Asani, well done :P

TY :bounce:

It was the only one there and I didnt see it untill it was nearly too late. I was going to get the black whiptail they had there, and one of the staff asked if I had seen this one, as soon as it entered my gaze it was sold. I must have been really lucky to arrive when I did Im sure fish of this calibre wouldnt hang about for long before someone snaps them up.

I chose Arthur because I already have a lancelot named Lancelot lol, figure why not get a few and have my own little knights of the coconut table.