I couldnt help myself!

Nymox

metro treatment for a week. up the water to 30 degrees C with 30% waterchanges every 2 days.

if you're treating 1 fish, may as well treat them all.

ask ron, he'll know but has probably not seen this post cause its in this section.

are those prawns de-shelled and de-veined? These are nice big king prawns. like 6-7cm in diameter.

occasionally when i got to New Plymouth or family come here, they get me fresh ones from the fisherman.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Probably best to keep them together for now. Its probably just naturally more picky, but will likely learn over time to accept the new food. If you separate the runt by itself, the stress of being alone will likely make it go off food completely.

Thanks for that, I thought as much but I figured best to check. Ill try crushing the colourbits a little, perhaps if they are smaller he wont spit them as much. I might see what they think of some live daph, thats sure to perk his appitite up a bit.

metro treatment for a week. up the water to 30 degrees C with 30% waterchanges every 2 days.

if you're treating 1 fish, may as well treat them all.

ask ron, he'll know but has probably not seen this post cause its in this section.

are those prawns de-shelled and de-veined? These are nice big king prawns. like 6-7cm in diameter.

occasionally when i got to New Plymouth or family come here, they get me fresh ones from the fisherman.

Whats the metro for? worms or something? as they have been treated for all that already. I think hes just a little slow to be honest, and I think the colour bits are a lil big.

Thats just my opinion and I'm no expert on discus. I wouldn't medicate for anything just yet. You only got them yesterday right? Try finding out the exact food they were being fed before. My discus also spit some of the food i tried at first. The leopard was really fussy and at first would only eat colourbits and not the other pellets i tried. The White butterfly would spit the colourbits out and would only chow on brineshrimp and bloodworms. Now they both take some of everything. Also, my white butterfly is a really lame feeder...most of the time when he goes for food he misses it completely! It takes him several tries before it finally gets in his mouth! I don't honestly know how he ever got to be that big :roll: The leopard just sucks it in on the first go! Like pow pow pow, one after another :o

Thanks for that, I thought as much but I figured best to check. Ill try crushing the colourbits a little, perhaps if they are smaller he wont spit them as much. I might see what they think of some live daph, thats sure to perk his appitite up a bit.

Thats just my opinion and I'm no expert on discus. I wouldn't medicate for anything just yet. You only got them yesterday right? Try finding out the exact food they were being fed before. My discus also spit some of the food i tried at first. The leopard was really fussy and at first would only eat colourbits and not the other pellets i tried. The White butterfly would spit the colourbits out and would only chow on brineshrimp and bloodworms. Now they both take some of everything. Also, my white butterfly is a really lame feeder...most of the time when he goes for food he misses it completely! It takes him several tries before it finally gets in his mouth! The leopard just sucks it in on the first go!

Feeding them exactly the same stuff :D yeah just seems like hes a bit picky and slow. They all turned their noses up at bloodworms :o Ill try daph soon, hes still super healthy they are so neat to watch.

yeah, or just starve them.

When i first got my checkerboards they refused to eat colourbits in my tank, but ate mainly them at Ron's place.

I couldn't be bothered with their antics so i went to new plymouth for a week, fed only the bottom dwellers and when i came back the discus ate what I gave them.

I like feeding discus tucker cause i can see their fat little tummies, and the clean up crew do a great job with the extra bits.

Forgot to add, discus are grazers which means they will cruize around and try to nibble for food all day, and shouldn't be allowed to eat TOO much in one feeding. So feed as often and in little quantities as your day permits. I found using a worm/feeding cone works for me. Took them a little bit of time to get used to but now they swim up to the cone as often as they feel like having a munch. I always put a mix of food in there: colour bits, pellets, bloodworms, bringshrimp, and it lasts for about an hour while they pick on it. Helps save me standing there when i don't feel like it too

Lol, yeah i had to starve mine at first too! Well they starved themselves...didn't eat anyhting for 3 weeks despite my efforts!

I love seeing my little ones fat too :) They are so cute when they rush out to feed and then have a little bump like 10 minutes later :lol:

yeah, or just starve them.

When i first got my checkerboards they refused to eat colourbits in my tank, but ate mainly them at Ron's place.

I couldn't be bothered with their antics so i went to new plymouth for a week, fed only the bottom dwellers and when i came back the discus ate what I gave them.

I like feeding discus tucker cause i can see their fat little tummies, and the clean up crew do a great job with the extra bits.

a lil update, crushed colourbits went down a treat for the runt, he scoffed a good 4 or 5 bits. Asani has settled in well hes no longer ripping up plants. Arthur has sucked the juices out of most of them now though :roll:

IMG_2216.jpg

hes not going blind lol, look in the reflection. its just what the camera is doing.

IMG_2230.jpg

is sturisoma panamense the right name for these guys? hard finding one that looks like Arthur