Finally happy with tank layout - Update 22/04/2011

phoenix44

• Replies 480
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, I believe that is it. However it does not go red like the pictures on the internet. it stays this beautiful light green colour. the stalks are extremely brittle and it needs strong light. for a stem plant it is relatively slow growing.

I like jungles :bounce:

Wow, great tank.

Thanks! :D

You would be lucky to get a heap of plants that were all happy in an aquarium because thay all will prefer slightly different conditions. High light and soft acidic water. You will have high light and acid water from the CO2. What is your water hardness like?

water stays at pH 7 and does not fluctuate. no idea about hardness, i don't really measure any of those things to be honest :lol: . there is a layer of calcium shells under a 2inch layer of gravel for the swords. Ill do a hardness test and let you know what the result is at.

Added another dozen cardinals today :D

WOW! that is so cool! Want to come pimp my tank up? Everytime I try... my barbs decide its a buffet..... so all i can have is sword-plants

I wouldn't bother about the CO2 to be honest. You dont want them to go into photoinhibition from trying to oversynthesis... the water can only hold a certain amount of oxygen (a bit of a geek here?! sorry)....

but if you wanted to help growth i would get a mirrored roof and reflect t9 lights off it.

Everytime I try... my barbs decide its a buffet.....

off with their heads! :lol:

but if you wanted to help growth i would get a mirrored roof and reflect t9 lights off it.

:o does my tank look like i need to promote growth? :o

My hoods have built in 100% reflectors in them. double the effective light output. :D

Stong light is likely to cause photoinhibition more then anything else, especially when coupled with temperature. But it needs to be really strong (> 500 µmol photons m-2s-1). Co2 is one of the limiting factors. If you think you are a geek, you should read my thesis on this crap...lol :lol:

WOW! that is so cool! Want to come pimp my tank up? Everytime I try... my barbs decide its a buffet..... so all i can have is sword-plants

I wouldn't bother about the CO2 to be honest. You dont want them to go into photoinhibition from trying to oversynthesis... the water can only hold a certain amount of oxygen (a bit of a geek here?! sorry)....

You tank is looking fantastic. I love it!

Heres mine - this is the one I have been having so much trouble with of late. You can see the hair algae everywhere. Cutting down on the T5HO lighting helps keep it under control but at the detriment of the red plants which are on the left at the back of the tank. Needs some pruning but the pair of discus on the left of the tank have 20 or so nearly free swimming fry on the glass and if I put my hand near the tank they bite it. Some suggestions please Phoenix :D

tankmay.jpg

wait for the plants I am sending you! :D

they will grow like weeds. Ive sent you a few more than I actually told you about :lol:

i would put more wood in the tank. just plonk some pieces where the foreground plant starts towards the centre of the tank.

pair of discus on the left of the tank have 20 or so nearly free swimming fry on the glass and if I put my hand near the tank they bite it. Some suggestions please Phoenix :D

don't put your hand there? :o :lol: :D

Only trouble with wood is that I am worried the discus will have no where to feed. There are two pair in here but one pair is still refusing to eat after the other probs I had that wiped out two of them. Can't work it out - two dead, two still not eating and two breeding - Go figure!

Will have to search for some nice pieces of driftwood from out of my other tanks. Thanks