Finally happy with tank layout - Update 22/04/2011

phoenix44

looks really nice 'P'

As for tetras- i would love to see Platinums in there.

I Had 20 in a planted tank years ago and they were awesome.

They were called Platinums when they came in although they were these- Hemigrammus rodwayi- golds elsewhere- not sure if we can still get them.

• Replies 480
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It looks like sag. microfolia.

same as in my tank but my tank is not as high as Adodge's. perhaps that's why it looks out of proportion in mine.

Yes I am sure that that is what it is. Its grown taller with the T5HO lights at the back of the tank (the plant is only at the front of the tank) but still sits only about 2 -3cm tall. Its taken a good year to get to this height.

Phoenix - is it possible for you to label the plants we see in your pictures. Just being nosey really. :D

Water change today... again. Most convenient system ever.

Water out the window-

DSC08623Small.jpg

DSC08626Small.jpg

mmmmm paladarium

DSC08634Small.jpg

Water in from outdoor hose connected to eheim J tube.

DSC08637Small.jpg

Finally when its nice and full to the top, we add salt. lots and lots of salt. :D

DSC08642Small.jpg

DSC08644Small.jpg

Then I wait for the cories and clown loaches to come and play in the salt :lol:

___________________Fin__________________

Hmmm. I thought salt was meant to be bad for planted tanks too. The cells get sucked dry of water through osmosis, as they try to balance the higher salt content outside the cell. I'm pretty sure its only really bad if its prolonged or at ridiculously high lvls though.

Very new to this, why are u adding salt, i only thought u did that for marine tanks?

hi memnoch, and welcome! :D

take some time and introduce yourself in the welcome section and tell us what sort of fish you keep and a little about yourself if you like.

salt is probably the oldest remedy used in the fish keeping hobby. it helps build up the slime coat that fish have by slightly agitating the glands under their skin. this slime coat keeps diseases at bay. - possibly the simplest reason, though there are many many more reasons that are a million times more complicated and techincal.

so i use it because of that and because its just a habit now lol.

what is the "tonic" part of the salt? And what does it do..?

That was probably the product of a group of marketing people who wanted to sell something worth $1 for $4 :lol:

general tonic = general cure.

It is essentially no different to rock salt.