How do I clean a secondhand Aquarium?

mark1078

Hi Guys,

Sorry it is probably asked many times before but what is the best way to clean a secondhand tank I bought over the weekend? The tank is quite a big one, don't know how many liters, it has a lot of soap scum on the glass and algae and it stinks!! The guy admitted he had neglected it. I have read many pages after I googled it with some suggesting vinegar and other detergent, others say to get some stuff at the pet shop.

What do you guys recommend??

Mark

I wouldn't bother with anything from a pet shop. And definitely wouldn't use any kind of kitchen cleaner or similar. Why would the tank have soap scum in it? Soap would probably kill any fish.

Vinegar should be fine. Mostly, I just use elbow grease and water. I've dumped a handful of chlorine powder in a bucket and cleaned a tank with that. Basically a bleach solution if you're worried about disease.

Thanks for the speedy replies, I got it of Trade Me, it is a hexagonal tank.. just did a rough calculation and it is about 130 liters.

Can you get elbow grease at the supermarket? And yes I want to kill any bacteria left in the tank! Am gonna start all over.

Thanks for the speedy replies, I got it of Trade Me, it is a hexagonal tank.. just did a rough calculation and it is about 130 liters.

Can you get elbow grease at the supermarket? And yes I want to kill any bacteria left in the tank! Am gonna start all over.

My wife is pi**ing herself laughing after she saw that I had asked if you can buy elbow grease at the supermarket!

In my defense, I am Dutch, never heard the saying "elbow grease". LOL

:lol: I am laughing too.

I use warm water and a handful of salt. Salt kills most stuff and should get rid of any white marks (calcium deposits rather than soap scum I should think). An old credit card makes a good scraper.

I also agree about the 'elbow greese'! :lol:

But make sure you are not scrubbing too hard with a scouring pad/sponge. Use a razor blade instead as others have recommended. You can easy get those window scrapers from bunnings or mitre 10. Be careful to to cut the silicone with the razor.

Vinegar is a good choice from some of the tougher spots, where there is calcium buildup. Rinse well afterwards. I cleaned my 220L by pouring in a couple buckets of water, then siphoning it out, then repeating process until clean. Bleach can be used after you are done scraping as a disinfectant. Be sure to rinse well afterwards...till you can't smell it at all anymore...then rinse some more. Bleach degrades pretty quickly...so even if there are trace amounts of it left in the tank it will be gone within a week so just wait to put any fish in to be safe.

You can easy get those window scrapers from bunnings or mitre 10.

Do not use window scrapers

They are far too thick and when damaged WILL scratch your glass

There is never a week passes where asked how to remove scratches and 90% of them were caused by those scrapers

Go to your hobby store or glass merchant and get a couple of stiff back razor blades. The blade is a lot sharper and thinner so the damage will be a lot less. As a glass merchant, I have never met a glazier that will use the thicker blades with the plastic handle

Good to know. I might replace mine then. I haven't noticed any scratches from it but its new and probably hasn't been damaged yet. I bought it to scrape off green spot algae but haven't used it much afterwards.

Do not use window scrapers

They are far too thick and when damaged WILL scratch your glass

There is never a week passes where asked how to remove scratches and 90% of them were caused by those scrapers

Go to your hobby store or glass merchant and get a couple of stiff back razor blades. The blade is a lot sharper and thinner so the damage will be a lot less. As a glass merchant, I have never met a glazier that will use the thicker blades with the plastic handle

Ira

The problem is that when hard dirt makes small dents in the blade, a strong thick blade will then damage the glass surface but with the thin stiff back blades, the steel is so thin that it will either bend the steel back into shape or simply move it out of the way.

Glass has a greater impact strenght than steel but as we all know glass breaks whereas steel dents

Ira

The problem is that when hard dirt makes small dents in the blade, a strong thick blade will then damage the glass surface but with the thin stiff back blades, the steel is so thin that it will either bend the steel back into shape or simply move it out of the way.

Glass has a greater impact strenght than steel but as we all know glass breaks whereas steel dents

Ice scrapers are not made of steel. They're made of copper or brass which is softer than glass. So dents shouldn't cause them to scratch glass, they're intended to scrape dirty snow and ice off car windshields without scratching them.

Ice scrapers are not made of steel. They're made of copper or brass which is softer than glass. So dents shouldn't cause them to scratch glass, they're intended to scrape dirty snow and ice off car windshields without scratching them.

Sounds ideal then

Dont get too much ice up here

Old eftpos cards are no good, the sharp edge gets too worn down. Unused club cards etc are ideal. Even a nice new one will get mangled by pushing it near the stones. I have done through so many! A supply of used gift voucher cards would be wonderful...

(Barrie, it is SO handy hearing your professional glass advice! :hail: )