Question for dyslexics

Caryl

When someone types this...

Did you konw you’re a guiens? Jsut the fcat taht you can atllacuy raed tihs psot porves taht fcat. The huamn mnid is so pufowerl it can dcodee tihs txet eevn tguohh eervy sglnie wrod is slepled iocenrtclry. The one cavaet is taht the frist and lsat lertets are pervresed in erevy wrod. Cidrgbame Uitesirnvy cetoudncd a sduty and fnuod taht the biarn deos not raed eevry snlige lteetr, but wodrs as a wohle

Is it just as hard for you to read as sentences spelt correctly? Those of us who can read and spell with no problems can also read the above, despite the letter jumble, but if you find the letters jumbled at the best of times, is the above better, worse, or just as hard to read?

We have a number of dyslexics in the forums, plus others with other reading and writing difficulties so those who find it easy should make allowances for those who don't. We also have those for whom English is not their first language. As long as the intent is clear, there is no need to constantly correct spelling.

There is a difference between typos and spelling errors too :roll:

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree. But I'm still going to mock the ppl who type liek dis :roll:

And the people that use the wrong their, there, they're, too, two, to, lose, loose and spell bought with an R. All are valid targets for ridicule.

People that use "of" instead of "have" are optional targets.

That is a good reminder with regard to dyslexics, people with other native languages etc.

I know a guy with genuine dyslexia (and a masters in chemistry) and seeing it is amazing - it is not simply poor spelling.

But yes, people who use textspeak or intentional spelling mistakes because they think it makes them look cool... nope, open for target practise. On a practical level, it ISN'T getting their message across clearly, especially for those with language/literacy issues, but also for everyone else. Including other thirteen-year-olds.

For those who think uniformity of spelling (and correcting it) is stupid, the point is to make the written word an easy and clear method of communication.

Usually people will write in texting format because it is a habit from texting so much and it is generally quicker for them to write like this if they aren't used to using a keyboard. I used to be like this until i got a job that involved using a keyboard everyday and Ive sort of grown out of it now. on the odd occasion i unintentionally write word short, not because its cool :lol:

My husband is dyslexic and could not read that paragraph at all, I am not and could read most of it :wink: Just thought I would answer you and just too add, both myself and my husband's first language is Afrikaans, we were born in South Africa :wink:

I'm diagnosed dyslexic, and had no issues reading it. If anything I think it would be easier to read for Dyslexic's, we are used to what we see not matching whats in our heads lol.

With regards text speak as short hand I don't really have an issue, what does wind me up is using incorrect words just for the sake of it, like juss, anyfing, gurl.

hahaha admit it....half of the spelling on here is hilarious!! people phonetically spelling out words is always amusing :D :bounce:

yes some have dyslexia, paranoia, whatever... but most probably didn't listen up in school! you gotta love this language, take a tree; you can cut it down, then cut it up.

Re: The Paragraph. The words with jumbled letters are easy to read, but I had to think harder for the ones that had wrong letters.

lol none of those words have wrong letters, they're all just jumbled. they get harder though, in fairness it took me a bit to get "conducted".

curiously i read a book on neuro-linguistic programming and that said that good spellers picture the word in their mind, and that is how they remember it, whereas poor spellers (and perhaps people with dyslexia) are unable to do this. it's true for me, i see the word in my head first