Question for dyslexics

Caryl

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:wink: Just thought I would answer you and just too add, both myself and my husband's first language is Afrikaans, we were born in South Africa :wink:

hoe gaan dit? :wink:

I think that as long as people endevour to try and spell properly there is not a problem. When we pull people up on small mistakes, it not a "point and laugh" moment.

For me at least, it is a genuine " hey buddy, just so you know..."

The arguement that "there are some international people trying to speak english" is actually a good reason TO pull out errors.

How else do people learn best except by "Trial and error" .

We have the trial, and as long as the error is shown in a positive light, where is the issue? Only if the person making the error takes it the wrong way. In which case, it is on them, not the person trying to help. Yes?

To the other extent, the purposeful molestering and raping of the english language when you have a perfectly good qwerty keyboard, and over 160 characters to make your point, strikes a chord with me. It is hard to read, understand, and often I simply dont bother even looking at it sometimes. Worst of all, since there are international people here, it shows them bad grammar and spelling, a lesson which they then continue, then people complain that they come to our country and can't speak/write properly! >.<

anyone see the irony?

There are a couple people that continuously make genuine minor "mistakes", but as I was told by my tutor:

1st time you do something wrong, its a lesson, (something that you can only learn through being shown what you've done wrong),

2nd time is a mistake, (a quick reminder of how it's done usually surfices here),

3rd time is a piss take....

Want to see real spelling Nazi's, try some other forums!! People here are still VERY friendly considering.

Im actually surprised at how little I get corrected, not that I really want to be. As long as the message is clear she be rite imo. I think some of the little corrections people point out are more of a smart ass reply, then a helping hand. I dont mind free tutoring, but not really what im here for.

Why some get so wound up over someone else's mistakes. I really do not understand at times.

My favourite is when someone asks us to "please bare with me" :lol:

I know what they meant but... :lol: :lol: :lol:

Cricketman brought up a good point about it helping non English speakers. English, as a language, is hard enough to learn without those of us, who should be able to write it correctly, using poor grammar or spelling.

Just for the record, one of the most annoying mistakjes (made by many) is to say "I could of". It is "I could HAVE"!!!

Hey! Who pinched my soapbox?? :o :roll:

I don't think we (as a people, not as a forum) should accept anything less that correctly punctuated posts/writing, with correct spelling. It's really, really not that hard to put in commas, capital letters and use semi-colons and colons correctly. It's also easy to push that return/enter key to make a new paragraph.

Most computers have built in spelling programs which put the red squiggly line under things that are spelled incorrectly, and a green one under grammatical errors. Some even fix the mistakes for you. I think grammar and spelling are important, and should be encouraged.

I, too, cannot stand people who deliberately misspell/abbreviate (f instead of th etc.). Sorry, but it makes you look stupid. How am I supposed to take you seriously when you say 'fAnXXx'?!?!????!*

I use these forums less because of the appalling grammar and spelling - it looks like it's a site full of retards.**

**And yes, I understand that strictly speaking, that's not the correct way to use question and exclamation marks, but I think the point, as well as my complete disgust, needs to be highlighted.

**Defined by http://www.dictionary.net as: retard noun - a person of subnormal intelligence

I think thats rather narrow minded lmsmith. Even as a people :lol:

Grammar and spelling is important I agree, but more so in formal discussion. Yes some use txt and slang or whatever which can be a bit much for some, but thats another issue.

Grammar is definitely not my strong point and after reading how much it means to some on here. I'll work on it I suppose.

But to judge people, as it seems you do in regards to their grammar and spelling. I think is very sad.

I think thats rather narrow minded lmsmith. Even as a people :lol:

Grammar and spelling is important I agree, but more so in formal discussion. Yes some use txt and slang or whatever which can be a bit much for some, but thats another issue.

Grammar is definitely not my strong point and after reading how much it means to some on here. I'll work on it I suppose.

But to judge people, as it seems you do in regards to their grammar and spelling. I think is very sad.

Well said :bow:

I am not the best speller and I regularly do not use grammar in the right way but does that mean that you are smarter than me? I think not it means that I have not been taught or I do not care about it as it is informal here and we are not that anal about grammar.

would you like me to go back through all your previous posts Imsmith and find all your spelling errors?

maybe then you can look in the mirror and see who the real "retard" is...... hmmmmmmmmm?

"retard" is a pretty strong word, I thought you were a bit of an idiot back when you were complaining about your lack of money, and seemed to think you couldn't live without your Wii! but did I use any such word to describe you?

no, no I did not.

I'm not saying that they are retards; but that the site looks like it has many retards. I absolutely do judge peoples' intelligence on their grammar and spelling abilities. If English is not your second language, you do not have any learning disabilities, and you are an adult, there is no excuse. Learn how to spell, or learn how to use a spell check. Google 'correct grammar' and have a read.

I'm not saying everyone has to get it perfect all the time, that's unobtainable. But to actively try to misspell or to consistently make the same mistakes when you have been advised on the correct way to do something shows that you are not willing to learn. I believe that this shows subnormal intelligence (retardation). It shows a lack of attention to detail, and poor memory skills. It also shows that the person is unable to see or decipher patterns. Ultimately, the person has poor communication skills, which directly affects everyone around them.

You will also note that I never said that a persons written communication skills were the only thing I judge people on; but it is a factor and I won't apologise for that. If it's good enough for worldwide education systems, employers and every single industry in the world, then it's good enough for me. Yes, people can succeed or even excel with poor written communication skills. Likewise, people with good written communication skills can fail. However, like many employers and educators around the world, I believe that poor written communication skills have a direct bearing on many other parts of that persons' intelligence (as above; memory, attention to detail, ability to see patterns and to learn).

Also, I did clearly state that I'm talking from a societal view, not just a view from this forum. :roll: True to form, the internet overreacts.

would you like me to go back through all your previous posts Imsmith and find all your spelling errors?

maybe then you can look in the mirror and see who the real "retard" is...... hmmmmmmmmm?

"retard" is a pretty strong word, I thought you were a bit of an idiot back when you were complaining about your lack of money, and seemed to think you couldn't live without your Wii! but did I use any such word to describe you?

no, no I did not.

Be my guest. You'll also be pleased to note, I'm sure, that WINZ and the MSD have confirmed that there was no benefit available, and have issued a special emergency benefit to back pay that period of time. They have also confirmed, through official WINZ financial advisers, that no person should be put in the position of having to sell their belongings to eat, especially when it means that they are in the uneconomic position of selling things hugely under what they're worth. So think of me what you will, but my stance and position on the situation is absolutely validated by the Government, and they have issued an apology for the way our case was handled.

Apart from a slight difficulty understanding the post at first, as long as the point gets across, there is no real issue here. Ever since I switch to Firefox and then Google Chrome, my spelling on here has been flawless because they include a dictionary like Microsoft Word does. Every incorrect word is underlined and you have the option of fixing it by right clicking. Too bad it doesn't do grammar :(

I use these forums less because of the appalling grammar and spelling - it looks like its a site full of retards.**

you don't need to be here if it looks like a site full of retards to you :wink:

Intelligence is an umbrella term describing a property of the mind comprehending related abilities, such as the capacities for abstract thought, reasoning, planning and problem solving, the use of language, and to learn.

al related abilities, with a deficit in one of them you can still be intelligent

an intelligent person would realise through reasoning that the world is made up of many different people with different levels of intelligence

you may think of yourself as intelligent because of your ability with the written word but would an intelligent person have made some of the statements you have made in that post on a forum full of retards

wooossshhh, right over the top of the cranium

If the world was so black and white. Id have to say a few of the smartest people at school, are the most retarded I know when it come's to life skills.

We all live in a beautiful world, every day every day. Hmmmm first beer ive had in a while, i think im getting retarded in here :D

you don't need to be here if it looks like a site full of retards to you :wink:

al related abilities, with a deficit in one of them you can still be intelligent

an intelligent person would realise through reasoning that the world is made up of many different people with different levels of intelligence

you may think of yourself as intelligent because of your ability with the written word but would an intelligent person have made some of the statements you have made in that post on a forum full of retards

wooossshhh, right over the top of the cranium

:hail::hail::hail: very well put.