Hedgehogs

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I saw heaps in New Plymouth. I want one so badly but they are dirty little things and I have no place to put one.

Ohhh... so that's what you mean by dirty, here's me thinking you were worried about the germs.

I did mean germs, fleas and the lot... :o

And they smell so bad because stuff gets stuck in their spines and then rots.

And they're not uber intelligent either... like they'll walk up to an electric fence and it shocks them so they curl in a ball and it will continue to shock them until they die... I've seen many die this way.

If I were a hedgehog I would run away! lol They run pretty fast.

trouble with electricity is that it contracts muscles and a hedgehogs defence is to contract muscles and curl in a ball, no win situation

have seen humans touch a live wire and not be able to let it go for the same reason

then someone tries to grab them off it and gets stuck too, uber intelligence :wink:

trouble with electricity is that it contracts muscles and a hedgehogs defence is to contract muscles and curl in a ball, no win situation

have seen humans touch a live wire and not be able to let it go for the same reason

then someone tries to grab them off it and gets stuck too, uber intelligence :wink:

Haha well I've touched many electric fences (grew up on a farm) and thank god that never happened to me!

I just got a shock, screamed like a little girl and learnt my lesson!

I'm wondering what lesson you learnt? That you like screaming like a little girl? Personally I touched one and learnt not to touch them again. :lol:

lol

It's hard when you live on a farm and your parents tell you they've turned the fence off, but forgot that they turned it back on... thus you think it's safe... and it isn't... OR when your dad is like "YUP.. see it's off" while he's grabbing hold of it... so you touch it and ZAP! Because he has a higher pain threshold...

I have learnt that you can touch it with grass and it dulls the shock though lol

In America here, I find advertisements all over the town for baby pet hedgehogs and squirrels :)

The hedgehogs available in the States are usually the African Pygmy variety (I had one when I was there; they are pretty cool, but illegal in some States), not the European variety as we have in NZ. Also, I have always found the Kiwi reaction to squirrels hilarious...they are fascinated by them. Just an ordinary animal to Americans, but really cool to folks who aren't exposed to them on a regular basis :)

The hedgehogs available in the States are usually the African Pygmy variety (I had one when I was there; they are pretty cool, but illegal in some States), not the European variety as we have in NZ. Also, I have always found the Kiwi reaction to squirrels hilarious...they are fascinated by them. Just an ordinary animal to Americans, but really cool to folks who aren't exposed to them on a regular basis :)

Agreed.

I LOVE SQUIRRELS.

Rofl, you are totally right there. When I saw my first squirrel I giggled hysterically and tried to catch it, my husband thought my reaction was hiliarious because like you said they are just and ordinary creature to him. Still want one. They are so freaking awesome.

I used to like hedgies until I busted them eating eggs from under my hens and ducks. They'll go right into the chookhouse and terrify the poor birds. They seem to prefer fertile eggs that have a mostly developed chick in them, and they come back every night until they have cleaned out the nest or you relocate them. They have a pretty good homing instinct too, you need to take them a kilometer away or they came back (I spray painted a dot on one once to check that it was the same one and boy could it home)