Hedgehogs

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah I have no problem with them being in my garden, but when I find it mauled half to death by my dog, well thats a bit upsetting.

I wish they could share the hedge too Caryl! I am only thinking about their welfare and the neighbours. They should just stay away from the dogs. Cos when the silly dogs see a hedgehog they just bark like crazy. I don't even know why they don't leave them alone, those spikes look pretty nasty!

Is it breeding season for hedgehogs or something? I've had to take 4 hedgehogs (both dead and alive!) away from where our dogs are in our back yard in the last 4 days. Never before have I seen so many hedgehogs!

i would say spring was the birth time of the hedgehogs & now the teenagers are being booted from home maybe. or they are travelling for food or you could be right, a mate.

They are horrible animals.

We have heaps on our section so anyone who wants a new pet is very welcome to catch some and take them away.

What's horrible about them? As long as you don't try and step on them barefoot or something they're harmless. They're just little pincushions that like crashing around the bush.

Just like cats I think the jury is still out on them being a pest, they may eat a few native insects and it's possible (don't know if conclusively proven yet) they may get eggs from some ground nesting birds, although I'm not sure ground nesting birds there are to worry about have that live in the typical suburban hangouts of hedgehogs. If you take into account the amount of non-native pest insects they eat that are competing with native species and eating native plants...

I hate hedgehogs... :oops:

Hedgehogs do serious damage to the population of native falcons who nest on the ground

http://www.maf.govt.nz/sff/about-projects/search/05-033/press-release.htm

and many of our endangered shore birds.

Hedgehogs also don't just hang out in "typical suburbia" they're very wide spread in bushlands and forests etc and are actually excellent climbers.

:evil: