Some frog photos

Insect Direct

• Replies 335
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

thanks, not sure to be honest. cant say ive seen one of those tanks in person.

what sorta of lid/ventilation on top? if the top was majority fly screen mesh you should be ok. could diy?

if moisture is a problem in there i wouldnt want to put bell frogs in as they need a basking light which (not sure about southern bells but mine like to bask) may create more moisture in the air. whistlers would be all good as i dont think they need a basking light (could be wrong), and cool water.

can make a nice display with whistlers as theyre not so rough on plants and been small can have a couple more frogs in the tank.

it has a fully covered in lid, my guess is moisture may be a problem, as you say we may have to DIY a mesh lid. We just got some tad poles from the dam for the kids to watch turn into frogs and as we had a spare 380 we thought they might make a nice feature in the lounge. I caught a golden bell a few weeks ago when Stella came over but it didn't have anywhere as much gold on it as yours do

the bell frogs i find change colour to suit environment. sometimes mood maybe.

or maybe u have a southern bell, theyre often more brown/green with green stripe down the back.

If you can make a mesh lid to fit the top it will be better, then sit something like an exo terra shade/heat lamp on top at one end. They maybe ok without basking bulb. Im no expert but i think theyre better off with one.

Thanks Nick, they do seem to like the duckweed, sucks up nutrients to

but the best thing ive found about duckweed lately is if you have a good layer in a frog tank (azolla is better) the livefood walks all over it so less drowning. cool to watch the frogs dive straight at them on duckweed to :D

Mr Mcfish... i would love to see some pics. In Levin, foxton, waitarere beach etc ive only ever seen/heard of southern bells present. You may have the golden bells though, would be nice to know if you do thats for sure.

yea can look very similar. best way to tell about i find is the stripe down the back of the southerns. (top photo)

golden bells may have lines/pattens on there back but looks more like camo. (like frog above trying to blend on pipe/wood.

goldens also have smoother skin in general and there call is different, but they dont mind what call i rip out :D