Breeding fish and setting prices?

smidey

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

where did all these fish come from in the first place?

Petshop/ fish shop I hear you answer

You are now taking away there very source that brings fish to you in the first place by selling cheaply

I have only got rid of my Killis to people within my club (NZKA)

and as long as the fish shops want them, I will continue to stock the shops that are interested rather than sell privately so that others can also have access to them.

Everytime you sell a fish, you have potentially made the LFS a little less profitable meaning that they may well close their doors and then where would we all be for getting new specie?

After a few years of trying to get one shop interested in Killis, they have finally started stocking them. They are now attempting to get an importer to bring others in. To me as a breeder and addicted Killi addict, this is nothing short of great.

Just be careful when selling fish of cheaply as you are competing against the very shops we need for the future of our hobby

There is also another side to this whole thing. When I was breeding heaps of fish, like 50000 a year I sold to a wholesaler who then sold to the retail shops. If either finds that you are selling "at the back door" cheaper than them they will not want to buy from you. You cannot carry 50000 fish around in the back of the car so you need to look after those that will be your market. I like Barrie have spent a lot of effort getting shops interested in stocking killies so try to look after the ones that will stock them. Killies have a limited market but so do Africans so my advice would be to look after those that are prepared to put hem out there as these are the people that may be able to encourage importers to bring in different varieties or new genes of the ones already here..

both valid points

so long as there has been fishkeeping there has been breeding and selling and LFS

there is a large difference between an established shop and a backyard breeder who is limited as to advertising their fish for sale

TM has changed this a lot but the warehouse has also changed the retail environment for some

just another thought

I agree the TM has changed things

What it has done is provided a part time income tax free for those that want a little extra money

Personally, I wont buy a thing new off it as there is no back up at all often.

TM is greatly effecting a lot of legal bussinesses by supporting illegal tradeing

I know a person whos wife gave up her job as she could do far better through TM and now imports all sorts of mainly rubbish that she sells undercutting stores as she has no overheads and pays no tax

I question TMs policy in allowing the sale of new products as they are helping people rip off the tax system.

I also find it interesting that this guy slags dole bludgers where his wife is doing exactly the same... ripping off the tax payers by not paying tax

thats sad Barrie but just part of society, focus on the good and good will come to you :D

anyone not paying tax is a muppet

i bred my dogs last year making enough to buy a small car, i paid tax on them as the way i see it anything i breed or sell is income.....an accountant tells me i hadnt needed to bother as one must have some hobbies....suppose that makes but hmm

tm has also given buyers alot more choice and a much more competitive market. So not all bad, its just a bit harder to make an honest earn but all that more rewarding :)

where did all these fish come from in the first place?

Petshop/ fish shop I hear you answer

You are now taking away there very source that brings fish to you in the first place by selling cheaply

actually, all my fish have come from members here, johannes, mike & alex mainly. the quality of aficans i have seen from sullpiers is 90% rubbish so i don't want that stock.

i am selling small quanities of very small fish, they are about 30mm. $2 is a fair price for such a small fish IMO. :)

It is also a case of supply and demand.

How many times has there been a case of keen keepers/breeders paying good money for relatively rare or new fish.

There seems then to be a race of soughts to breed them as quickly as possible to get to market first as the price will be higher.

I think selling fry at $2 each is probably a good price as the buyer is buying a gamble in terms of the fishes quality, sex and the purity of the strain, even the quality of single fish at such an age.

I try to keep my Africans to 4-5cm where I can cull out runts, have a better chance of supplying sexed fish

and also giving the buyer a product with which they can do something with, ie not having to grow them out in fry tanks.

How many people are buying a bunch of fry to get one lovely male?

Even then the cost will be set by the demand at the time.

As said above everyone has a different approach to their methods and goals.

If it was about revenue I'd probably better served breeding only cardinals, neons or goldfish.

How many times has there been a case of keen keepers/breeders paying good money for relatively rare or new fish.

as i said before, i paid $30 each for my tropheus duboisi (x12=$360), they were round or under 30mm. I love these fish, they are amazing & i would have got other strains if they were cheaper but there is a limit to what i can spend on fish having a young family.

I want more people to also be able to have tropheus so i am willing to sell fry for $10 each as i want these to become more popular in the hobby. i have had a few people pm me about duboisi & once they realise you need a large group & what others are asking for them they simply forget it as its not an amount they want to part with for something they simply like the look of.

at the current prices it is too difficult for people to get into having them. :)

whats bad about it apart from people not making as much $?

i stripped the fry, feed them for 2 or 3 weeks & sold them for $2 each. there wer around 25 per strip, so i got $50 from that one batch. if that is not breaking even or even making a small profit even if i take into account food, power, lease on the tank, water & depreciation on their equipment then i am unsure of what costs others have. :D

oh, didn't you buy some? wana give me more $ for them then? :D

i mean its bad as in ppl will buy them cheap and sell them off for more

i like the idea people are selling them cheaper as for people will now go ahead and have fish as a hobby

i mean its bad as in ppl will buy them cheap and sell them off for more

i like the idea people are selling them cheaper as for people will now go ahead and have fish as a hobby

yeah, there will be some thought if certain people want to purchase some whether for themselves or others. i hope making them cheap gets new keepers into the hobby or even just people giving it a go.

A recent tornament was run nationally for junior golfers which advertised for non-playing children to have a go at golf. that can only be a positive thing for the sport, getting people that may not have tried if it wasn't made easy for them.

thats what i want to happen, grow the hobby of african keeping so there is more demand on the other aspects from our lfs's, like food etc. more demand could also mean more to choose from in the future. :D

people playing golf can hire clubs...they dont need to buy th best set upfront nor go to the best course

people getting into fish often go for guppies,minnows and the cheaper often easier fish to care for an breed which isnt a bad thing?

if all fish were cheap it would make for an interesting market maybe not much of one at all?

I find that the more expensive things are often for a reason ie hard to get or hard to care for and or breed so all relative.....time often balances the price out but markets also change for many reasons.

jst another way to look at it :D