Breeding fish and setting prices?

smidey

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As above I would have been keen as but they are too much for me.. Maybe they are the right price for the market? Who knows, you also have to remember that it is close to christmas so most people don't have alot of spare cash I have noticed a distint lack of people buying fish and a distint rise in people selling..

Theres normally a good reason they are cheaper.

mine are now cheap as i think africans are too costly & i will continue to sell 30mm fry for $1 or $2. my tropheus will probably be around $10 each at 30mm. its time to make these fish accessable to all for the best of the hobby & not try to sell for big $ for our own selfish needs.

we may be lucky & get our fish down to the same price as aussies pay for their fish & they get WC.

i paid $30 per 30mm tropheus (x12 = $360), i have probably spent $500 on food for them in the last 2 years. When they produce fry i will sell for $10, this is not to get my $ back as i do it because i love the fish & want others to also have the realistic oppourtunity to have their own. the cost of having these is the cost of enjoying them not an investment for capital gain for me.

Is it selfish needs, or juss the fact it costs lots sometimes to breed, care for, and raise some if not all fish?

Don forget it stuffs the breeding for others too (money-wise) and to tell ya the truth, you might even find some people will go out of breeding if it cant cover a fair bit of their cost in doing this.

I have to agree with you there mystic, I run 30 tanks at the moment and I need this many tanks to breed the15-20 or so species that I am breeding or attempting to breed correctly. I set things at a price that will hopefully sell enough of them to cover my power bill, fish food and extras like filters or stuff like that when they blow up or need new ones, or buy new fish if I want any. Unfortunately I don't have the spare money to cover that in the budget so I have to try and make it out of my hobby and spread some good fish at what I feel are good prices in the process.

People selling fish dirt cheap will drag the prices down for everyone else who sell that fish but it all swings in round abouts, once someone drags down the price on something then that just gives you a reason to try and breed something else instead :) Of course you always keep the fish and back ups going just in case everyone gives up on them at once and they die out..

Anyway I think this thread should maybe be split as it has gone off on a major tangent from the original posters intention :)

i loose $ doing it but am happy to pass on cheap fish so others can also enjoy them. the cost of having them is there whether you sell the fry or not. if you are setting up for breeding you need to achieve a breeding program that costs what it will bring in or you will loose money. its the same as building spec houses just on a much smaller scale, thats a risk people take & sometimes you win & other times not. the markets are subject to many factors & competition is one of them.

it stuffs the breeding for others too (money-wise)

I agree, that is what happens, but such is the competitive nature of business (fortunately or unfortunately depending on ones viewpoint).

Unless the fish have some trait that cannot be matched by competitors, price competition is unavoidable.

since when are fish so expensive you need to breed them to get them more widely accesible :lol:

you not seen the price of tropheus here? they are around $25 in pet stores in auzzie.

i think you have good intentions but for the good of the hobby a bit of balance may sit well. jmo

i have been selling common africans at 30mm or less for $1 or $2 each, not that far from the $6 i used to ask for them.

the costs and overheads are different to all of us and higher to a shop than the average hobbyist

some do it from the sheer love of it, others are the same but need to make it pay so it doesn't impinge on the family budget

it is indeed swings and ferriswheels and all evens out in the end

its good in some ways there cheap but bad in others

makes it cheaper to learn

whats bad about it apart from people not making as much $?

i stripped the fry, feed them for 2 or 3 weeks & sold them for $2 each. there wer around 25 per strip, so i got $50 from that one batch. if that is not breaking even or even making a small profit even if i take into account food, power, lease on the tank, water & depreciation on their equipment then i am unsure of what costs others have. :D

oh, didn't you buy some? wana give me more $ for them then? :D

thats seems to happen, its like ppl saying tortoises are $1 in blah blah yet a few grand here......this is where we at so enjoy it dont destroy it.

im not saying dont sell things cheap/er just that sometimes when u bottom prices out its not always a + for the hobby like some may think

ie sell for $1, If i was a breeder why would i bother to purchase of you other than to "help get them out there" but your already doing that. if i was a newbie then cool chuck that in the tank.. . .woopsy x bred, woopsy not compatible . . . .. which can do a lot of damage to pure species down the line

if sell at a fair price its more likely fish go to people who really want them (hey its still only a few dolllars a fish), who will do the research and maybe even bred them....= good all round for the hobby.

to me a fair price is alot less that what we have been paying. i will sell tropheus for $10 as they are a higher valued fish & the common africans i will continue to sell for $2 each.

value is not going to stop "mis-matching" fish, that is an education issue.

at the end of the day some agree with one thing while others don't. i will continue selling cheap fish so if you want to breed something to make $ get something i don't have. don't get brichardi as i will have those in the next few weeks. :D