Breeding fish and setting prices?

smidey

I think the most difficult thing would be deciding on quality but it sounds like a good idea..

Maybe have some sort of incentive for breeding something that has a lower number of registered breedings (or considered hard to get or at risk of being lost in NZ) and actually still have males and females a year later, to encourage people to actually breed the rarer species and keep them. This would discourage the people who just buy in anything breed it to get a tick in the box and then flick them all off to try something else there are plenty of good breeder who breed some nice and harder to find stuff but no longer have it :(

I know all of this would be hard or probably impossible to set up but it would be interesting.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree with Ryan that having incentives to breed things that haven't been bred before (or only in limited numbers) is a good idea. My ideal would be more of a breeding register than the current rewards program style, where breeders [not just people doing a one-off for the fun of it] register themselves as breeders of X Y Z species, and if there are any changes to that the society is informed. Other breeders could have first dibs on the fry of a rare species and more populations could become established, ensuring the future supply of the species.

surely quality is the main purpose of the annual show?

although in thinking further, the number one reason is probably to present as many specie of fish for the public and other keepers to see and spark interest. number 2 would be quality?

With my interest, I would love to see even bad/poor examples of some killis that were here ages ago rather than not see them at all.

At the last Killi show in Napier, I entered about 3 fish that I thought would have a shot as they were nice in my eyes but I also entered several that I was sure would not take a prise but not too many people would have seen then therefore would provoke interest.

I will take the same thoughts into our next show (Napier next April)

i like the idea of adding a 2nd tier to the breeding scheme for rarer or harder to breed fish

it is important to do this as more species will go onto cities appendix and only captive bred will be available

where breeders [not just people doing a one-off for the fun of it] register themselves as breeders of X Y Z species, and if there are any changes to that the society is informed. Other breeders could have first dibs on the fry of a rare species and more populations could become established, ensuring the future supply of the species.

Maybe have some sort of incentive for breeding something that has a lower number of registered breedings (or considered hard to get or at risk of being lost in NZ) and actually still have males and females a year later, to encourage people to actually breed the rarer species and keep them.

keep the thoughts coming

Traceability is probably most important for africans etc, I note the whole hybrid issue is a major problem for those breeders.

By maintaining good records such as the register it will be possible for (serious) breeders to ensure they are only introducing quality blood into their lines especially important in the case where only NZ bred fish are available.

A NZ bred fish that wins or places in a show can then be traced back to the breeder who produced it and their line can carry the endorsement.

I guess its starts to go in the same direction as those dog or cat breeders who breed for show quality rather than the dirty mongrel you get from the local pet shop at 1/4 the price with no guarantee of parentage.

There is always a market for quality.

I don't know anything about cat breeding registers or the cat show scene at all but has any of the creators of this breeding register contacted other similar systems like cat breeding registries? if not this may help for giudence of systems that are required.

It's Not that I dont think incentive for breeding is a good idea, but unless I'm missing some points here it would seem a very tenuous link between the amount of efffort and logistics required for the objectives put forward.

I wonder if those resources were put in the direction of creating registry of importers/ wholesalers and creating liasions with them and setting about ways of improving our fish stocks at that level.

The issue that started this thread and the discussion that has transpired would seem to me identify the logical progression in the system as it stands.

If we don't change the position or influence in the food change then we will always feed on scraps.