Anyone would think we don't feed him

Caryl

I know his cere looks brown now but it used to be blue and considering how well he talks he is definitely male!

He doesn't eat the cardboard, just flings it about. You can't leave books lying around and there is not much cover left on the phone book :roll:

Some females can be good talkers. I used to have a couple that had vocabularies of around 200 words (as well as songs). However, the colour of the cere is determined by sex hormones (testosterone and oestrogen) so if it well and truly used to be cobalt blue but now is brown I would be concerned about significant hormone imbalace. Unfortunately this is often caused by testicular cancer. We used to remove diseased testicles in birds via laparascopic surgery. I am sure Brett at Massey would be a good source for a consult if you were so inclined.

Anyway, he is so cute, especially with all those pinfeathers on his head. :lol: I love budgies.

chewing is often a sign of wanting to breed

When I had show budgies years ago, we would bring them into breeding condition by blocking the hole to the nest boxes up with tea tree. I would use plumbing brackets and put the tea tree through them and screw them to the next box. It only took a couple of days and they were in and nesting whereas before you block the nest off, they simply were not interested