Insurance

jim r

Just had a call from my insurance co. They will not cover the cost of drying the carpet on my house contents. But will on building insurance,unfortunately my excess is $1500 so it is pointless. They will not cover the 950L tank because they blame faulty goods. They will cover the second tank because it was caused by impact. I have told them I am pulling the pin on all 5 policies and 2 memberships. :evil: :roll: :cry:

Thats sad man!

Insurance assessors are 1 step below lawyers in my POV, at least lwyers you can get to fight FOR you...

When I flooded the lounge with my tank, it was only ~500 bux, JAE services i thnk they were called... alright guys, that was 2 dryers and a de-humidifier for 24 hours plus labour. did the job alright.

still wont bring your tank back though.

Sorry Jim

I would be asking them to prove the tank burst due to it being faulty.

Our original insurance covered tank replacement but they would only pay for the drying of carpets if the damage had been done by "normal" water supply (eg burst pipe or water cylinder). We now have what they call "Premium Cover" which will replace tank and pay for damage caused (ie carpet replacement or drying).

Apart from that original policy (which was our own fault as we had not worded our questions correctly when we asked if it covered the fish tank - it did, just not the damage caused by a tank breaking) we have not had any trouble with our insurance. In fact, when I wrote off the 4WD while we were on a rally (some of you will remember that!), the cheque for a replacement vehicle was waiting for us when we got home a week later! 8)

the tank is faulty due to being made form glass that is not thick enough... its been made incorrectly

The other option or out for them is the age.

In saying that, I have only found one company (ins) that I have any time for and thats AMI. Unfortunatly they dont do commercial.

I have around here some where a memo sent around their staff(State Ins) that says to spend time on new customers as existing customers are going to leave them sooner or later

I too can work out a full retail price for you Jim but a price from P44 may look better?

I love insurance companies. We had a car converted and it was found with the automatic trasmission knackered and leaking water. It had obviously been taken for a strop. It cost $1400 to fix it and they wouldn't pay a cent. Said it was an act of god. I love insurance companies.

that reminded me of my teacher's brakes failing in his car causing him to crash into a hill and the insurance company said it was 'an act of god' lol...isn't religion a useful tool :roll:

This got me thinking and I rang my insurance company, AMI to check if I was covered or not. They said if it is a manufacturers defect then I am not but if it is broken by and accident or some one smashing it on purpose then it is.

The whole manufacturers defect thing is fine if you have an aqua one or similar but if it is a tank made by a glazier or similar then it dosen't really stand up does it?

Sorry to hear about your bad experience Jim :(

Insurance companies have a sheet that tells them what the safety standards are. most glaziers are required to have this information too. if you are to be covered by insurance on a tank, most companies would require the tank to meet the standards prescribed (thickness and type of glass). the standards are a bit over the top according to me, but it safe guards the person buying the tank, the person selling the tank and the insurance company in the event of a claim.

most tanks are not made to insurance or the glass association's standards, but are still safe. its a gamble. I have comprehensive house insurance with vero, and i know that my tank is covered. maybe ill call them up again and make sure.

The whole manufacturers defect thing is fine if you have an aqua one or similar but if it is a tank made by a glazier or similar then it dosen't really stand up does it?

:(

Yes it does stand up

We (glass companies/glaziers) have to work to a minimum standard. That includes thickness as well as construction.

If a glazier incorectly glazes your window (or makes incorectly or with the wrong thickness of glass your fish tank) and it breaks causing death or injury, we can be fined up to $500,000.00

If a tank maker is not folowing the same set of rules, they too can have the same level of penilty bestowed apon them

Isnt the idea of insurance to cover damage caused by accidents - regardless of whether something was faulty or not? - otherwise how else do accidents happen other than acts of god (and those arent covered)

If you ABS system on your car failed, causing you to go smashing into about 10 vehicles as your brakes werent working, the insurance would pay out - and thats down to 'faulty goods' surely?

Isnt the idea of insurance to cover damage caused by accidents - regardless of whether something was faulty or not? - otherwise how else do accidents happen other than acts of god (and those arent covered)

If you ABS system on your car failed, causing you to go smashing into about 10 vehicles as your brakes werent working, the insurance would pay out - and thats down to 'faulty goods' surely?

What about leaky homes?

in general bad designs and incorrect products

They are not covered

the insurance definition maybe, if the tank has an external force that breaks it, it is covered under accident or wilful damage

but if a tank just explodes while sitting there it is manufacterers fault or an act of god

so if your tank breaks then probably you fell on it or bumped it :D