Budgies VS Lovebirds

SamH

Looking into movie my two Zebra's into an outdoor aviary, meaning I'll have a spare cage.

Never had Budgies or Lovebirds, not even tame birds, but I want to give it a go. I'm looking at getting ONE baby bird and I'd like it to be shoulder, finger and hand tame, doesn't have to talk but it'd be nice.

Which one would YOU suggest?

Any tips on training them?

Do any of you breed either of these?

Thanks

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How could you ever consider a lovebird!

Us budgies are far superior:

Cuter

Friendlier

More colourful

More talkative

Eat less so cheaper to run

And of course we poo smaller. This is important as if we free range (as I do) it's easier to ignore :lol:

what is all this small parrot talk?

what you need is a conure. :D

or a cockatoo.

guaranteed to drive you mad. :lol:

Do you breed them (budgies) Bud?

I'd have a love bird, but that's cause i know i can train it to shut up and not whistle all day.

I'd say get a budgie- they can talk a lot, infact the bird with the world record on largest vocab is a budgie (8000 words or so).

get a baby, hand rear it, and teach it pointless tricks :lol: that will keep it mentally stimulated.

they are not that messy either, and you can try and potty train them too.

not to mention they are not as demanding.

Do you breed them (budgies) Bud?

bud is caryl's budgie :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

And what size cage would you recommend?

I've been getting 18x18x24" (45x45x60) results on Google, but does this apply to a Budgie who will be let of it's cage quite often?

Anyone built their own cages?

bud is caryl's budgie

Ahhh... Right. That explains it.

Do you breed Bud?

vinson massif built his own cage (its not for him im sure) for his lorkieet.

I don't build things... not in my DNA ha ha.

I'd say get a larger cage cause you will have to fill it with toys, food, water etc.

could even get 2 budgies as they are quite loving.

I have a standard sized bird cage, 45cm high x38 front to back x 34 wide which hangs from a bungy in the lounge. I get to fly all through the house from about 5pm until I get sick of it and go back into my cage. Sometimes I trick them and hop in and wait until Caryl gets up to shut my door and I zip back out real fast! I am not very popular with her at the moment as I seem to have developed a penchant for eating books :-?

To train us budgies you need to start us real young, just out of the nest. We are highly intelligent and within 6 months will have picked up various words or phrases repeated within our hearing (and some we aren't meant to :lol: ).

If you get two of us we will be too busy talking to each other in our native tongue to want to talk English. Caryl was told I would be less likely to talk or interact so much if I had a mirror too so she won't get me one. I have to make do having lengthy conversations with various shiny objects instead!

I am given toys to play with and my favourites are a tennis ball and a yellow plastic ball with holes in it so I can pick it up easily and fling it about. Caryl bought me a Weeble too and I like bashing it about. I am also good at dropping stuff off tables or benches, like pens, nail files, TV remotes and stuff.

I would like to breed but unfortunately have yet to find a lovely lady budgie in the vicinity. :cry:

I can say quite a few words, when I feel like it. I've been heard to mutter;

I tawt I taw a puddy tat

puddy puddy puddy (came up with that one on my own!)

Testing!

CQ CQ (Grant is a radio Ham and taught me that one)

Give us a kiss (picked up from my nan when staying with her for two weeks)

I can also whistle in Morse Code, wolf whistle and ring like the phone.

I have also been heard to say "OK bye" but nobody taught me that. I surprised them with it :lol:

I suggest you also get your budgie from a breeder rather than the lfs. Only because often the birds in the shop are already too old to train. We got Bud from the breeder, two days after he left the nest. Nov/Dec are when there are a lot on offer.

I suggest you also get your budgie from a breeder rather than the lfs.

Didn't know my LOCAL FISH STORE sold Budgies... :wink: :lol:

Sounds like Budgies are the way to go, but now I have to beg for a new cage and build it.

bud sounds awesome.

remember sam, no matter what any one tells you - no mirrors EVER.

pet shops sell budgies, its best getting a young one from a breeder if you can. only get one from a shop if you do not want to hand rear it, or it comes hand reared.

here's that pic I promised

4745357177a5877963923lSmall.jpg

hand reared means it is taken from the nest before pinfeather stage and fed by a human from that stage

hand tame is when it is taken after leaving the nest (fledging) and trained so it is used to hands

some species need removing before their eyes open to make them tame

budgies can be taken up to 2 weeks after leaving the nest and trained, just make sure it is eating seed by itself

any bird can be trained if you have the patience and thick skin

there are a few auckland bird clubs who can put you onto a breeder

I'd go for a lovebird. I've had both budgies and i've got a love bird now. (the difference was my budgies weren't tame tho)

I found that my budgies would scream in the morning! it got very annoying :roll:

I think my cage is 70x45x85(high) cm

If you did get a lovebird, make sure you teach them from the start to not bite finger nails, cos when their beak gets stronger it'll be able to rip your finger nail off :-?

Personality wise i'd go with a lovebird

I would say go with the Budgie

Don't get 1 always better to get 2

I used to have 2 Budgies, mine used to preen each other all the time, very loving wee things, loved listening to them sing their little songs.

Just be aware Birds can be very sensitive to Fly Sprays, Hairsprays anything in an aerosol really.