My new bird

firefish

I have 5 cats plus the neighbours cat frequently visits. Birds wouldn't stand a chance in my house.

My cat doesn't even care about Suds anymore. She used to gaze at him all day but even when his cage is only a leap away, she can't be bothered.

Very nice birds firefish! :bow:

I would have to agree with LA about sexing them by bite. I had nine avieries full of them at one stage (including a load of masks) and the females are the best biters---usually in the soft bit between thumb and first finger. You get good at catching them with your finger under their chin after you have been bitten a few times. They have interesting genetics in terms of breeding to colours.

They tend to have genes for lack of colour rather than for a colour. A blue mask is lack of yellow and yellow is lack of blue. The albino. creamino and lutino were just imported when I was doing it and a bit too expensive for me then. Good to see they are still about. They love fresh growing broom cuttings to put in the nest boxes so the farm hedges are no doubt less well trimmed now days.

• 2 weeks later...

They're still getting on well. Amber is slowly getting used to humans. Every day when i oopen the cage up to let Jade out, I leave the cage door open - but Amber doesn't venture out

Every night they have a bit of squabble over who gets the best bed :lol:

Birdies_001.jpg

Sharing their swing:

Birdies_004.jpg

Cheeky Jade:

Birdies_024.jpg

This photo was because every time i take pics of them Jade comes up to the front wanting to get closer to me :roll:

id love to have another bird.... we have 2 furry cats in our house though

i can say that 1, my bengal, even though she is a tiger, she doesnt show much interest in the rabbits, even when they are running around the house. Nor did she want anything to do with my pet possum. The other furry cat in the house though....she is the spawn of the devil....she jumps at your face and bites your feet when you walk past her....real evil....anyway, she loves the rabbits, always trying to get into their cage. Thing is shes been bitten about 1/2 a dozen times (that ive seen) and she just keeps going back for more....

so until we move...no bird for me :(