Tank background + pics

si_sphinx

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

thats what i thought too but im so incredibly impatient its not funny.

Has anyone else done just a thin coat of concrete and had it stop leaching after a few weeks?

If everyone that has made a background like this could let me know how long it took them that would be very helpful.

thanks in advance

Ok ive got the tank empty and drying, im going to do another thick coat of concrete as i can see some bits ive missed and they are annoying me even tho im the only one that can see them and know they are there :x

Then im gona do a resin coat so seal it.

should hopefully be done by the end of the week. fingers crossed :-?

ok ive done 2 more coats of concrete, really solid now, and a coat of resin with a light coat of sand to avoid the glossy finish. ive also attempted to make some rocks the same way as the background but i don't think they look so good.

So ive been driving around everywhere, rivers, creeks, beaches, finding loads of rocks.

but after going through the 20-30 rocks back at home, only 4 of them work :-?

So im going to need to go for another look to find more.

This is probably a little too late to help :roll: but I did 3 thin coats of concrete on my background, I didn't seal it and the water in my tank is a constant 8. I did soak it in the bath tub for a few days though after it had finished curing.

Yes ive heard that a lot of people have done that but my tank is 400ltrs and has a larger surface area of concrete and will take a long time for the pH to go down. smaller tanks don't take very long

And mine probably wouldnt fit in the bath :lol:

How big was your tank?

• 2 weeks later...

It looks realy good, been watching you do this from the start and it even inspired me on having a go. Made alot of mess but its looking ok. Done the 1st layer of concreet but it will def need another layer on it. Not as good as yours but i am hopeful haha

It looks realy good, been watching you do this from the start and it even inspired me on having a go. Made alot of mess but its looking ok. Done the 1st layer of concreet but it will def need another layer on it. Not as good as yours but i am hopeful haha

Post up some pics so we can have a look :)

I ended up putin resin on it and then sand before it dries.

I liked it before the resin but it didnt turn out too bad.

You'll be surprised how good they end up looking when they are done