Tank background + pics

si_sphinx

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

is this tank a 3footer?

hmm. what sort of cannister filter do you have? your airstone idea will work.

if your filter creates good flow just shove a heater where you plan, and though it may not be as efficient as normal - with the airstone and the filter turning over the tank volume many times an hour your tank would be uniformly heated.

I think it would look awesome in my tank :o:o:o :lol:

No but seriously. I cant wait to see your creation in a tank up and running. Don't worry much about the algae. GAE's are awesome at cleaning algae and a soft toothbrush can be used to remove the stubborn stuff.

Thats going to look great when its all done :bounce: My poly/concrete background has recesses cut out for the intakes but the heater I put on the end side off my tank. The spray bar shoots down onto it to get some more flow past it. You might want to try a final light coat of plain concrete (without oxide) to give it some definition and contrast. I just brushed it lightly over the high points.

Thats going to look great when its all done :bounce: My poly/concrete background has recesses cut out for the intakes but the heater I put on the end side off my tank. The spray bar shoots down onto it to get some more flow past it. You might want to try a final light coat of plain concrete (without oxide) to give it some definition and contrast. I just brushed it lightly over the high points.

Yea i was thinking that or just putting the darker concrete in the deeper spots.

there is so many different ways ya can go when making these.

A test fit to see if they look ok. ive got a few joints to fill in with some thick concrete and then i can do final coat.

8005.jpg

8006.jpg

Anyone know how i can hold these in the tank without permanently sealing them in.i want to be able to pull it out in the future if i have too. it jambs under the bracing but not sure if it will stay there.

In my experience you can quite easily scrape silicone off with a razor blade and leave a perfect finish if you're careful. So don't let that stand in your way of sealing it in. Also, I wouldn't rely on the bracing to hold it in, as you may get 20-40kg of upward buoyancy from the poly, I know Spoon had heaps of trouble sealing his in because it was so incredibly buoyant. Might pay to do it once, and do it properly, go overboard with the silicone.

edit: PS, I love your work, it's incredible!

I'd been thinking of giving one of these a go. Was really keen to try and create some pockets midway up the wall to create a kind of hanging garden - not sure what I'd plant in them though. Could also make attachments for a easy installation of a moss wall or aniubus or java fern.

I did wonder what the impact would be in terms of lighting though - having plants (esp those that are low light) that much higher up might pose some problems...

Can't wait to see that background up and running. Looks really good!!

Having pocket that could hold a little substrate would be good.

I thought about this too but i decided on attaching java fern to the wall further up closer to the lights.

And dwarf sag will possibly be on the bottom if it can grow + val

a better pic

9013.jpg

Ive also finished writing instructions on how to make a background like mine with pics, 13-15 pages in MS word

But I've still gotta add what i will do and what happens after water, plants & fish are added, water cond. etc.

Its really quite descriptive.

If any one wants a draft copy to proof read for me and make any comments or changes that may be needed that would be awesome...? (im not the best of writers) :oops: