Giving him the snip

Aaron-Betta

Holy Moly mother of all painful things batman!

may i never be born as a long finned live bearer.

Then you must try to be very good in this life, grasshopper! aka phoenix44 :roll: :lol:

Yes I have been told I can do this for my Ribbon Fin Guppies. As it is the female who carries the long fin gene I have stuck to breeding with either a young or not too well endowed male to keep the line going. Have had no problems so far.

the gonopodium is a fin, not an organ. Not literally cutting his winkie. :o

Been doing a bit of research on it, but still unsure. Got a clean scalpel etc. Maybe give him a snip, then put him in meth blue by himself for a while.

So glad you said this Aaron - it was even making my eyes water! :lol:

So glad you said this Aaron - it was even making my eyes water! :lol:

LOL me too and I don't even have a "winkie" :o

... some threads you wish you'd just never clicked on them... now I just know I'll be drawn back to this thread each time I see it's been updated just to see how it's getting on... :roll:

Hey Aaron, the best one to use for clipping the gonopodium to the proper length is a nailclipper.

I have clipped my male swallowtail guppies and they are successfull breeders afterwards, they didnt even show any signs of pain and immediately did their job straight after the clip.

I was going to say, getting him to lay still on the chopping board as you approach him with the scalpel will be a mission - clippers or a good sharp pair of small stainless scissors sounds like much less stress on the pair of you!

the gonopodium is a fin, not an organ. Not literally cutting his winkie. :o

Been doing a bit of research on it, but still unsure. Got a clean scalpel etc. Maybe give him a snip, then put him in meth blue by himself for a while.

Lol, so a bit like being circumsized instead, huh ?

Navarre wrote:

Becasue as you will well know Caper,

Size isnt everything!

especially to those of us with it

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Thanks livingart, now the next question :oops: how do you know that it is too long to reproduce???

Caper