training a lorikeet?

gem_scott

hi, im getting my first lorikeet in 3 weeks now. im so happy! :bounce:

i have been going round all the pet shops in chch and playing with the lorikeets they have, so far they all seem nice but one bit me really hard!

i was wanting to know how you can train them to not bite (the nice way)

one man told me to growl "no" and another lady said to pull on their back neck feathers but to me these seem mean and i dont really want to do them.

is there anyone out there with some nice ways for me?

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

congrats!

get a clicker and clicker train him. bad behaviour gets a click. they dont usually like those clickers or their clicks.

and when you do get bitten, don't withdraw your hand... cause if you do you just lost... and you don't want to lose lol...

DO not pull on their back feathers! that's the worst thing ive ever heard of! lol :lol: itll put the bird off your hands... especially if you get a young one (and im hoping you do).

growling and saying no in a deep voice is effective - get used to making that sound too cause you'll have to do it a lot. :lol:

let me knowif you need any more help..

you need a lot of time and patience. .. .a lot of patience.

thank you so much!

yeah we didnt really trust that pulling on the feathers thing it kind of shocked me! :o

and yes we are getting a young bird, the reason were waiting is so we can get it as soon as its old enough to sell.

once again thanks and i will definately post again if i need anymore help

:bow:

Im getting a rainbow one, those are they ones we always play with and if i have to move to a flat that doesn't allow birds then mum will take it cause she loves the rainbows. I haven't been able to find any other kinds in chch pet stores and i tried to google breeders in chch and found none (maybe i just suck at searching but i cant find them!).

I have also been wondering about my cats. They are very curious and might try to "play" with him.

Do you have a cat? Is it ok?

There is a very tame hand reared rainbow for sale at Bubble and Squeek in Stanmore Rd and it didn't want to bite me while I was playing with it.

Yes i played with that one too and it is a lovely bird, it even let me snuggle it upside down and rub its tummy. But we have put a deposit on one coming into papanui pets in 3 weeks and the lorikeet that Bubble and Squeek had last week wasnt as nice and now we cant get our money back.

Otherwise we would be getting that one.

thanks gem.

A lorikeet or any bird for that matter who goes upside down and exposes the belly for a human is extremely tame and trusting!

I rehomed rusty cause he used to be a "problem" bird and went from house to house until he came to mine :D

he is good now.. but it took time... a lot of time.

that bubble and squeak lorikeet sounds great!

Yeah it is a very trusting bird and so cute but he is like $100 and something more than the one im getting. Mines only going to cost $275

I believe there is no such thing as a "problem" animal just uneducated owners.

Oh just thinking of the rehoming thing, do we have a bird rspca type place? before i put the down payment on mine i was thinking of getting a preloved lorikeet but i know that the chch rspca doesnt take birds (or are very against taking them) and i couldnt find a bird rehoming center.

no idea about rehoming places for birds. trademe seems popular for those sort of things.

wanna bet? :lol:

some lorikeets can be pretty bad...

oh PS - there are some really nice lorikeet videos on youtube.

Oh just thinking of the rehoming thing, do we have a bird rspca type place? before i put the down payment on mine i was thinking of getting a preloved lorikeet but i know that the chch rspca doesnt take birds (or are very against taking them) and i couldnt find a bird rehoming center.

an owner can be educated but still create problem animals

"preloved" lorries are usually that because they have turned nasty or very loud

it can take a knowledgable patient hand with thick skin to bring them back in line

no idea about rehoming places for birds. trademe seems popular for those sort of things.

wanna bet? :lol:

some lorikeets can be pretty bad...

oh PS - there are some really nice lorikeet videos on youtube.

yeah iv noticed the videos, we have been looking for ages but my favourite one of a lorikeet saying "thanks" for kisses and saying "yum" got removed :(

i was refering to the fact that they bite and still scream with a mouth full of finger

a bad lorrie is almost as bad as a cockatoo

lorries and galahs are the birds i get to see the most of with personality problems

lorries also eat seeds, vegetation, flowers and some insects

studies have found lorries only digest around 20% of the pollen they consume