training a lorikeet?

gem_scott

don't want to hijack a thread but it is about lorries

lorries feet don't usually encounter sand on the branches they stand on

therefore the skin is not made to walk on sand stuck to perches or sand paper wrapped round it for prolonged periods

i have dealt with a few birds with bacterial infection from being on perches sold by pet shops to deal with sharp claws

1 case involved amputation of toes

P.S. sorry a pet hate

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

found usually on birds of prey but more recently on caged birds since the advent of sand coated perches

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bumblefoot_(infection)

gluing the sandpaper underneath the perch where the claws are might be a good idea

i use large diameter perches so the claws rub on the timber

bumble foot is the term

he is very tame! good on you!

is he about 12 weeks old now?

I'd recommend wrapping sand paper around his perches initially and that will naturally round off those sharp claws - if he has them that is.

apparently he is only about 9 weeks, we got him asap.

yeah his claws are alot like tallons at the moment but i think i will just put down that sand base mat for a few days, is that ok for their feet?

i am covered in scratches, its like having a kitten lolz :roll:

just try playing with his feet

you can even start laying him on his back and just try running an emery board over the ends

just the tips need squaring off

don't give it a bad experience, if he protests stop but try again later

it is patience and repetition that will win the day

if we sell handraised birds it is taught to lay on its back and nails get trimmed before they leave us

Yeah i thought they would have trimmed him but apparently not.

he is already very willing to lay on his back so i will try that as soon as i get one.

oh and he is almost toilet trained! i dont know how but we got a basket before we got him and since we got him we just worked out when hes going to go and put him over the basket and say "go toilet" and now if we misread the signs and put him on and say "go toilet" you can tell that he is trying to go even if he cant, its so cute!

oh and phoenix44 the clicker thing isnt working, the sound just doesnt bother him. its kinda funny :wink:

:D

wonder if as far as the bird is concerned those peircings aren't part of the rest of you so it may be trying to preen you

remember if you have a cold or flu keep the bird away from your face area, they can catch bugs off you and something we can get over in a few days can be potentially fatal to them

not trying to scare you but just be aware of things

oh and he is almost toilet trained! i dont know how but we got a basket before we got him and since we got him we just worked out when hes going to go and put him over the basket and say "go toilet" and now if we misread the signs and put him on and say "go toilet" you can tell that he is trying to go even if he cant, its so cute!

Reminds me of Gerald Durrell book, where when he was a child they had a large bird of some kind (can't remember what type - twas a long time ago since I read the book) that they had trained so that it had to go to the toilet in it's cage before they would let it out. Consequently Durrell remembers walking past the cage on occasion while the bird was still in there but wanted out, and would be straining itself stupid to go to the toilet, but nothing was happening!

:D

wonder if as far as the bird is concerned those peircings aren't part of the rest of you so it may be trying to preen you

remember if you have a cold or flu keep the bird away from your face area, they can catch bugs off you and something we can get over in a few days can be potentially fatal to them

not trying to scare you but just be aware of things

Iv always wondered about that because all babies either cry untill i take them out or they just tug them out, birds and kittens always seem to attack them lolz

yeah we are aware of the cold thing, its very worrying.

you can train them to be nice about it. i have no piercings at all but rusty licks earrings and piercings instead of ripping them out.

however he does remove the butterfly quite artfully :lol:

not sure how you can train them not to bite it off, perhaps if there was a way to show him it was part of you? or let him do it to see how much force he is using?

PS (mark) is it ok for them to eat banana skins? cause rusty devours them and then gets a black beak :o

my cat pulled the cage down this morning!

Petrie is ok but there was wetmix and drymix everywhere and the plant that sits below the cage it destroyed!

now Petrie is wanting to be cuddled all the time.

my poor baby!

that damn cat! :x

how big is the cage?

how big is the cat??? :o cause the cage has to be huge!

put a shock collar round the cats neck and bzzt it if he goes near petrie. BZZT! weeeeeooooowwww! lol :lol:

no seriously don't do that.

lolz yeah i was mad but he is just doing what cats do best.

the cage is bigger than most of requirements that iv read but he is hardly ever in it lolz, it just was hung on the wall and the cats weight on the front pulled it off its hooks (he is a very heavy cat, over 5 kgs)

yea gemscott cage doesn't have to be huge if bird is getting out on a daily basis

take care with the cat, ie: don't leave them alone together as i have heard too many sad stories concerning much loved birds and "safe" cats

putting clips on all the doors and wiring base on so if the cat does it again while no-one is there may be a good idea