Very sick turtle. Anyone had one survive this sick?

DonnaM

Yes Repto, its definately taken a long time for him to get this sick. As said at beginning of post, I didn't think he would survive even overnight, so hes hung on for 6 weeks more then I expected. He is passing more and more pus, despite the AB's and other treatment. For a couple of days the pus stopped, but then came back thicker and more of it. I feel the blood in the kidneys was quite significant and as vet said, we don't know how well they could support him when so damaged...not to mention the pneumonia etc. His owner has started reading these posts and is greatful for everybodies input for Speedy :D As am I for all the support :D :bounce:

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Speedys autopsy showed major issues in many areas. The main being respiratory. Not only did he have the pneumonia in the lungs but also a sort of pleurisy as well. ie/ the space between the carapace and lungs was "full of muck'' as well. Also his liver was fatty and showed issues from inadequate diet, his bladder was very full of urine aparently, (not sure why tho.) and generally a very unwell boy who'd got beyond being able to recover. Urine full of urates, but not sure if that amount was 'normal' or excessive, as turtle urine does apparently have plenty of urates :( His liver is going to have some further testing done at Massey vet school to see if any viruses or anything.

Yes, RIP little Speedy.

autopsy will let you know exactly what was going on

and will give you more knowledge for future problems you may encounter

every cloud has a silver lining :wink:

certainly does :) Tho hope not to get too many as sick as this wee fella... He was 11yrs old. :)

camerared002.jpg

This is a photo of Georgia with her eyes open again....After the Vit A injection it took about 9 days before they started to open and over a week they've gradually got back to almost normal. Shes eating a good variety of food and her temperament has calmed alot...with being on the kitchen bench and having to get used to movement and people around all the time :D Her eyes are now open even more then when this photo was taken.

looking good Georgia! I'm sure you will take special care with her diet. I think that might have been what originally sent Speedy down his sad road. That one I had years ago was never completely perfect after her illness, she always floated wonky due to the fatty liver. I'm sure you did the right thing for Speedy poor little chap. Glad to hear Georgia is acting perkier, mine was the same, she found having puffy eyes very upsetting and got happier as they recovered.

Thanks guys. Yes Speedy had problems with his diet, and then for quite some time he apparently didnt eat much at all, which will have been coz he was too sick. :( Georgia has just had a tank mate added for the winter. Lucy is same size and been out in pond, so just bought her in for the winter. Georgia was horrified and tucked tail and legs under shell and swam sideways if Lucy went near her for the first 10 minutes...but now they are happily swimming around together and Lucy has already been up on the platform checking out the heat/light supply with Georgia hot on her tail, so should be a good mix for the winter. Might even keep Georgia.....mmm she'll go nicely out in the ponds next summer with Lucy and all the big girls :D I really need another turtle :wink: And she's turning into a wee monster when it comes to food! Previous owner had said she never ate much....just dry shrimps.... but I have to wonder how hard they tried to introduce other foods. :roll: So officially she had "bilateral Blepharedema" caused by "hypovitaminosis A"...or puffy eyes from lack of Vit A from poor/inadequate diet. Shouldn't be a problem for her in the future tho! :D

Look at Georgia now!

122.jpg

I'm really pleased that Georgia is now so relaxed and eating so well and especially that her eyes are back to normal!

Amazing what a good shot of Vit A can do :)

From Donna

When I had my adult female terrapin a couple of years back she liked to eat tinned shrimps. The ones in brine. I always took her out of her main tank and put her in a small temp plastic basin { a few dollars at supermarket} to feed. It was just big enough for her to paddle and eat her food under water in then I thew that water over the garden when she was finished and she didn't make such a mess in her main tank. She knew that popping her into the basin meaant a meal was on its way. Thin strips of oxheart went down well too. You can cut that into strips and free flow freeze.

Cheers, Vee