Very sick turtle. Anyone had one survive this sick?

DonnaM

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Speedy update...really very little change :( But thats to be expected I guess. I popped him in a freshly cleaned tank today to see how he'd cope in the deeper water. He just floated there. Didnt attempt to move his front legs which were all tucked in and back legs just hanging there. Tail curled up. Stayed like that until I gave him a little push at which stage he moved one front leg, (doesnt tend to use his right front leg much at all), and that was it. :(

Did eat a little bit of Ox heart in the bath this morning and did a nice poo of pus..... :roll: Better out then in they say :)

Keeping me VERY busy... just home in my lunch break to try and feed all the sick ones....Speedy has had a very slow couple of days, no food or moving, but today is eating a bit of Ox heart...he was eating a bit of other, more nutritious food, but has gone off that the last while..

Rotting shells are really tricky. Cant do much but provide good environment, dry docking, food and patience. We're not too sure about the one with all the exposed bone. Not sure if all that 'skin' will grow back? Waiting game. :( I now have 4 young boys with this issue. Mostly caused from those nice new tanks that are being sold with the curved basking area...and a lid so no air circulation and lovely build up of humidity...so shells cant ever get properly dry. The others came from one of those fancy Rimu turtle tank/stands...again with a lid completely over tank... :roll:

Girl (Georgia), with eye issues is not so good last two days. Pretty subdued and not eating...she was smelling food and finding it so could eat it, but not interested at the moment. I might see if Zev can post a couple more photos soon. Better run...work beckons. :D Thanks for the interest. Nice to know people are thinking about these sick turtles :D

Aww they are neat pics - hehe I had to giggle at the eye ointment one :lol:

Speedy is looking perkier!! gee he has a long tail, my little guy only has a short stubby tail :lol:

Donna did you find out about worming turtles

Donna it is so admirable to see some one take such excellent care of their pets. I wish there were more like you out there, who go above and beyond to ensure quality of life for animals like speedy. good on you :hail::bow:

I hope lille speedy recovers well.

excellent pics, maybe a turtle ailment and treatment post could be setup

Now theres a thought! :D

Thanks phoenix44, I appreciate the encouragement :D

Check back in the thread Mel... I put something about the worming of him before the pictures...sorry my 'scrolling as I write' wont take me back that far. :) Basically they can be, but Speedy is the only one I've ever had to worm...I'm making sure he's completely seperate from the others so no worms spread. I need to worm him 3x. Once a week for 3 weeks....mmm due again today actually, so check last Thursdays post! The worms could spread if he was sharing a tank with others...another reason he's on his own in the bath . Just as well I had a seperate shower put in for the 'humans' last year... :lol:

i remember you telling me that you were not sure about keeping tropical fish tanks as it sounded a lot harder than keeping turtles. well donna after this i think you could cope with ane tropical fish! p.s background is coming along slowly but looking very good have just got painting to do on it

Thanks Southerrrngirl and Spoon :D

Still don't think I'll try the tropical fish tho! More then enough work with the turtles. But my new pond pump/filtration system is AMAZING! Water pumping thru 3 layers/ sizes of stones in a 1.6 metre stock trough (Theres that spelling thing agin? trof? Nope that looks worse! :roll: ) Its so clean I've turned the UV filter off to see what happens...and I'm only running it 8 hrs a day. Just as well its working so well with all the extra tanks and stuff at the moment. :) Thought I might try and get to the Totally Tanked mtg on Saturday... have a break from being "Totally turtled!" :D

No hurry with the background Spoon, the frogs wont mind :lol:

Speedy ate ox heart out of my hand today...very cool, nearly made me cry! He's still passing lots of pus tho..... :(

Speedy is having his first 'outside' day...well 'hour'. I've popped him in one of those wheely storage bins from the warehouse. Its angled so shallowist bit of water is in sun and deepest in shade. (Only about 4cm water in deep bit). He's choosing to sit in the side in full sun with his head held high up in the sunshine and front legs spread out a little like a normal 'basking' pose. :D Its a really lovely day here and hes in a sheltered spot. A week ago he couldn't even really hold his head up at all, so good progress :bounce: Ate a little today as well. But theres still all that pus....

Georgia can now open both eyes about half way. Shes got a lovely shell.... and a terrible temper :D I think she'll be best suited to life in a big pond with minimal people contact :roll: Any takers for next spring ? :D

I'm thinking all this pus may well be from the effects of the antibiotics in the gut? What do people think? I had a rescue turtle in the past who was passing the exact same looking stuff for the 3 wks I tried to save her...but we euthanased her in the end. :cry: (She'd been found like that so no idea where she'd come from. ) I haven't tried the acidophylis yet, but am keen to give it a go now that he is looking a little brighter... So I'm thinking the yoghurt wont be good being dairy. How would I get it into him? If I get some capsules, or however they sell it at a health shop, then how much would I give him and how? I'm guessing I would mix it in water and syringe into mouth like the AB's? Does anyone in CHCH have a few spare caps of it? I'm thinking it will be quite an expense for the small amount I need... He weighs 800 gms.

Today he ate a little 'wet' turtle food and a couple pieces of dry fish. But he hasn't done any solid poo since about last Wed and only the "didymo" slime is coming out.

Thoughts and ideas???

have a talk to a local health shop let them know what you want it for you may be surprised at what you get

possibly mix with a little warm water to a slurry/paste then into mouth

navarre may have some ideas on this

continued didymo output maybe, continued infection, imbalance or damage to stomach enzymes, liver or kidney damage

these are just a few thoughts donna, sorry i don't have a definitive answer