Very sick turtle. Anyone had one survive this sick?

DonnaM

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hes on Baytril. Thats the usual one for turtles. So hes having 0.4mls of baytril 2.5% in 50mls. About twice as much as the doses I've given other turtles with more minor illnesses. Also his poo did contain some parasite eggs apparently, and so when a bit better he'll be wormed as well. I'm making sure hes totally seperate from my lot with towels, water, food etc to prevent any cross infection. Dont want loads of turtles with worms :-? I've just popped him in his shallow water this morning and hes very still, but we'll see. ( I'm going to go with owner to next vet apt. ) :D At least he's still alive :D

Good morning - I have a feeling it'll be a long slow recovery, but seems like he's a fighter.

Do you worm turtles? if so what and how often?

I'm going through the stage of leaning about worming my fish :o somthing which I never thought you needed to do

Thanks guys. Yes you can worm turtles if they need it. I'll find out on Wed what to give him, (have put vet apt off till Wed). The amount will depend on weight. I've never had to worm a turtle before. :roll: I guess will be something like you give cats and dogs??? I'll let you know :D

I've just had a friend around looking at doing some kind of 'natural wetlands filtration' for one of my outside ponds.....mmmmmmm :o I've been looking with interest at the 'natural' pools etc on other thread. Funny how I was trying to find out about doing it on the ponds and then its appeared on a couple of threads. Will be fantastic if we can get it to work.....Maybe speedy will be well enough one day to have a swim in a pond full of clear water from the natural filtration. :D Right better give him his antibiotics now that hes had some time in the water. :D

mmmm not so bright today. Not eating and not moving much. :( He peed on me heaps yesterday, but none today. (None when I'm holding/carrying him that is, but no doubt going in the warm water.) Still easy to get antibiotics into, still a bit hypersensitive with touch..... :-? Off to the vet lunch-time tomorrow.

So sorry to hear about this poor turtle. you are one awesome person who puts so much of your time into these turtles who are sick or you have rescued. Aqua ( turtle-from you) is doing so well. she has had a few eggs but nothing happened with them. good luck with this one. thinking of you.

Vet visit lunch time today. He was moving a bit and holding head up well, tho still got back toes curled up. Of course he didn't show vet the 'hypersensitivity' I've seen lately :roll: but no matter. We know he's still very sick. He peed on the desk and dip-stick showed it to be very high in blood :-? Not a good sign for his kidneys. Vet able to get enough wee in a syringe and will analyse it later. I saw the chest X.ray. Vet has started doing X.ray end to end thru turtles, not straight over back as previously, so you can actually see the lungs clearly in the top of X.ray. They are very full of fluid still :cry:

Apparently the lungs of a turtle actually wrap around the kidneys and other organs. Fascinating!

I have to try and worm him. 3 doses over 3 weeks. Its called oxfendazole drench. Its diluted 50/50 and he gets 0.1ml each week. Vet has given me extra in case its hard to get into him and I loose some. If that doesn't work, then they will tube him and give it to him that way.

I'm currently home from work in my tea break to give him a swim and try a feed. He ate a bit this morning :) Not showing any interest at all in the whiteworms alanmin, but the Reeves did! (Do I have to put an air hole in the container lid :o )Yes I managed to pick the worms up in my bare fingers!!! They just look SOOO like thread worms in humans......yuk!

Right, better get Speedy out of the water as I need to get back to work soon :D

Aww poor speedy, still have my fingers crossed for him - you're so lucky to have a vet that is good with turtles

I know what ya mean about the white worms - I ended up chucking mine on the compose heap, they were way to squirmy for me to touch :roll: or even look at

I have seen dead bits moving around the refrigerator

:o:o Was it the dead bits moving....or the things living IN the dead bits that were moving...... :roll:

Anyway, Speedy having another non-eating, not moving much day today.........I wormed him last nite...easy once I finally got his mouth open :lol:

I can post a couple of photos if anyone is interested...but I'd need to email them to someone to post for me :roll: I can't yet work out that "foreign language" of posting photos :D