Xtra problems

Caryl

How widespread is Xtra's problem? We lost internet and email about 10pm last night. Got internet back this morning but still no email.Tried to get a status report via Xtra's website but got;

Website maintenance

Unfortunately the www.telecom.co.nz website is unavailable right now as we are upgrading our system between the hours of 08:00 and 14:00pm 29 November.

We apologise for any inconvenience this may cause.

:lol: I was wondering why my internet wasn't going last night. I thought it was something to do with my modem, so I restarted it a couple of times and nothing happened.

I'm not sure whether my email was out last night though. But, everything is working fine now.

How widespread is Xtra's problem? We lost internet and email about 10pm last night. Got internet back this morning but still no email.Tried to get a status report via Xtra's website but got;

Website maintenance

Unfortunately the www.telecom.co.nz website is unavailable right now as we are upgrading our system between the hours of 08:00 and 14:00pm 29 November.

We apologise for any inconvenience this may cause.

nice of them to give us plenty of notice. I'm sure we will all have our account charges reduced :hail: telecom

I just received one email - and it was SPAM :evil:

Then a couple of minutes later got 2 messages sent 8.40pm and 8.55pm respectively. I am sure there are plenty more as we get lots thanks to Grant's newsgroups :roll:

They must be getting there. :-?

I am getting steady emails now but still think I am missing a lot that came in overnight (as the overseas newsgroups do)

A friend in Nelson just rang and said he hasn't got net or email access as yet and now his phone is beeping continually :-?

One of their juniper routers went down. They have 5 in the country and if one dies, the whole Internet in nz goes down. They're supposed to have backups at all locations, but apprently are too incomptent to make them work. If you complain enough, they'll give you a few months free.

Thank god for my iPhone and 3g service!!

Telecom seem to be big on promises, but not so good on redundant circuits and backup routers.

Any single failure should not take down a big chunk of the internet as there should be alternate routers and links in place. Even if the main link fails the alternates or backups should allow communications, even if it's slower.

But that costs money...

Ian