Nearing my wits end...maybe you can help me in some way...

pufferfishnz

Hello all

Many time the people on this site have helped me with various things ranging from gravel to building things... so i thought this would be a good place to start before I tear my hair out!!! some of you might be in a similar position so this might be benifical!

Righto here we go:

I am in need of getting out of damn retail work (have been for some time really) and I am really wanting to get into something with animals.

I have done some study, oodles of work in various SPCA's and cattery/kennels. But I am finding it hard to get a job (any job) with animals. :hail:

Have any of you got any suggestions/ideas. Or is someone else in the same position? :roll:

Please someone help, I dont wish to be stuck in retail for the rest of my life, its too boring and really doesnt have anything to do with animals, the only thing that makes my day now is when i go home to all my animals... dont think my boss would like it if I bought them to work!!!

What sort of work are you actually after? 'working with animals' is pretty broad.

What kind of animals?

What have you been applying for?

How have you been applying? Waiting for positions to be advertised or plastering the town with your CV?

Are you interested in setting up your own business?

Hey this is hard times

Animals/pets/fish etc are an extra cost that people are cutting back on.

Simple thing is that most people are cutting back and reducing spending in what ever areas that they can.

A lot I have spoken to in the building trades have lost up to 40% of their turnover which means reducing staff and those that are left are also slowing down in what they are spending.

If you have a retail job and find it boring think of how much more boring not having a job will be.

I strongly suggest you stay where you are for anothe 18 months them look at changing jobs.

Another thing to think about is will you sitt get enjoyment HAVING to work at what is a hobby

I enjoy fishing but to have to to it every day wether I feel like it or not would totally ruin the enjoyment

Barrie,

While I agree in general, the thing I find silly with the building industry right now, is a year ago there was a boom and they were screaming out for more people and everyone had too much work on. How does the current situation compare to BEFORE the boom? It is not necessarily all about the recession, but about the natural slowing down after the boom.

And yes, sadly everyone is saying there is a recession, so everyone is avoiding spending, so there will be a recession. Self-fulfilling prophesy.

Good point with HAVING to do your hobby. I was talking to a motorcycle enthusiast who at 15 was desperate to leave school and become a mechanic. His father refused and made him do something totally unrelated. He is now thankful for that, as he would have wound up tired of motorcycles if he had to work with them day in day out for 40 years.

Stella

I have just had my 2nd bussiest ever month so as of yet, we have not been effected but when the largest glass merchant has let go 400 staff nation wide and the 2nd largest has reduced their staff by 33% they is a turn down.

I have a good relationship with a pet store here in Auckland and their stock is very slow at the moment.

Even the local Chinese Takeaway was telling me that they were down over 20%.

Again here in Auckland there have been 4 timber window manufactures close up and some of those have been going for 25 to 30 years. Some are to be honest, not on the ball and charge too much and do not do a good job but the fact that they are no longer around is no good for anyone.

Applications for Council building permits are the slowest for 25 years in numbers.

The best and it is a good thing is that it will weed out those that do a shoddy job and are overpriced although it also brings out the worst cowboys around. Reputations though will weed them out.

Sorry of subject but my advise is still the same... stick with the job you have and enjoy your pets/animals when you get home and that way they dont become another "boring job"

Sorry of subject but my advise is still the same... stick with the job you have and enjoy your pets/animals when you get home and that way they dont become another "boring job"

Dad once said to me "I tried to make a living out of my hobby and all it did was turn my hobby into a chore", and I can tell you from first-hand experience it is true (well to a certain degree anyway).

If I was you I would come up to Auckland and do the Zookeeper course at Unitec. Its once year long, and then you can get a job at pretty much any zoo in NZ 9though you will have to start from the bottom and work your way up). Other option if you want to work with animals include getting a job in the biodiversity or pest management sectors of DoC, again you will need to do degree or the DoC ranger certificate (in Nelson if I remember correctly). Other options are pet shops, vets, public aquariums or animal shelters.

Good websites to keep an eye on include

http://www.conjobs.co.nz/

http://www.doc.govt.nz/templates/page.aspx?id=42183

http://www.conservationvolunteers.org.nz/ (although these are volunteer positions, they will help you get work experience and ultimately, a paid job)

Sorry, but I come from the conservation/zoo side of the working with animals, so cant really inform you if you want to get into the vet/animal shelter side of things

thanks for all your help. yes i realise there are people out there who are looking for jobs and cant find any. i do realise that i am lucky enough to have a job (even though it is part time and i am struggling to pay the bills, and am now working 2 jobs so i do know what its like to struggle thank you very much)

yeah i have been plastering myself all over town. if im at work having a so so day and someone walks past work with a dog or something it makes my day to just give it a pat and have a chat with the owner. its not just a hobby, animals are my life!

thank you for all the comments even if something of them werent overly positive. :hail:

i have done the Animal Care course through NMIT and I am wanting to do the Vet Nursing course though NMIT as well (possibly next year) i want to put some money aside to make this slightly easier. working part time and studying isnt as easy as it sounds (i did this with my animal care course)

i am open to doing volunteer work and i know that some of the time that it can turn into a paid job. i am very happy to do work for free or very little as while i am doing this i am learning about all sorts of things to do with animals.

to answer an earlier question, yes i would love to start my own business, but i wouldnt know where to start! Or even what i could do as there are SO many options out there and it has to be something that has a niche, not something that 100's of others are doing!! Something totally original.

I dont wanna steal anyone's ideas, but anyone got any ideas???

I used to do some dog walking and pet sitting when i lived up north, but theres not much of a call for it down here.... any other ideas/guesses?

:hail:

How about moving south? Study what you want to do at SIT (Southern Institute of Technology). Zero fees and its cheap as living in Invercargill.. then move back to Nelson with your qualifications and try again.

The SPCA down here is always looking for people to work.. although I think its volunteer work only.. not sure about that one. There seems to be plenty of jobs going down here at the moment.. in fact.. how do you feel about insurance and reception/office work?? :lol:

yeah SPCA here has volunteer work too (am doing that)

there is things i can study here too, i have looked at lots of options, i just cant afford to study, sounds silly i know (already have a student loan from my Animal Care course last year) if i work while studying i struggle and my results arent as good as they could be. Unfortunately no-one in my family has (Edit) money either (not that i would take handouts at any time for anything, im too stubbon!)

I dont really want to move, but maybe i have too!

and about the insurance reception/office work....dont have alot of experience with that, so i dont know how much i would like it or even if i would be good at it! thanks anyways