David R's new 630L tank...

David R

I had planned on doing a progress report type thread for the set-up of this tank but never really got around to it. I swear I have never stressed so much or had so many problems setting up a tank. I want to be young and ignorant again because things seemed a lot easier then, the more you know the more you have to worry about! Here's the story up until now, I'll update it as things progress...

Back in about April (I think!) I had Greg/Tanks2U build me the tank, 1500 long, 700 wide and 600 tall, he also built a new taller tower for the sump and modified the sump tank a bit. His work was great, but the guy he recommended to build the steel stand wasn't so hot. The top of the stand was really uneven, it had a slight twist and to top it off there were runs in the paint. I pretty much put it in the too-hard basket up until about a month ago when I finally decided to bite the bullet and trust the stand. Barrie kindly helped out with his josters and we lifted the tank onto the stand after putting down ply on a bead of liquid nails to absorb the unevenness. A few weeks later it was full of water and looking level enough.

I had last Thursday and Friday off work so I plumbed the sump up, washed all the media and put in about 250L of water from my other tanks. I decided to get some cheap tetras to make ammonia to get the filter running, and also for live food to help my big ornate settle in once its cycled. More problems. I went to Hollywood Mt Roskill and purchased a bunch of tetras, along with some assorted freebies a customer didn't want. I soon learned that tetras aren't smart and had a bad habit of going over the overflow in the corner of the tank. I started catching them to transfer them to the sump, but before I had managed to catch the second one the first one had been sucked through the pump and returned to the tank as burly. Oh well I thought, its all good ammonia. I covered the intake of the pump with a sponge and put the rest of the tetras in there. I now have another problem...

DSC00379.jpg

It seems they can swim under the grate holding the media up and up through the media, but not back down. I have decided that although it seems a little cruel, it is now a case of the survival of the fittest (or smartest) and I not going to pull all the media out of the sump to catch it, or any others that find their way in there.

Anyway. Tonight I put a light on the top and a few big pieces of wood in there to soak, and it is finally starting to look like an aquarium instead of a big glass money-sucking box of problems.

DSC00381.jpg

DSC00376.jpg

There's probably not going to be much of interest for the next few weeks (other than how many stupid tetras manage to get stuck in the media), but on the 18th I'm meeting a friend in Taupo who is bringing me up some white sand from Christchurch. The plan is to have white sand substrate, a couple of big pieces of wood, and some round river rocks. The fish will be added gradually, starting with the big ornate, then the uarus, severum, heckeliis, and lastly my 8 largest clown loaches. As my 14 smaller clowns get big enough to avoid being eaten by the ornate I'll add them too. I'm also growing out a S. leucosticta ["juripari"], surinamensis, two male sajicas, and a group of G. balzani. I'll probably add the first three when they're large enough, but I'm thinking of doing a proper amazon-themed set up in my 4' with the balzanis, corys, tetras, maybe some other dwarfs, and possibly altum angels.

Sorry for the epic post, its been a long time coming and I needed to vent/show off. :lol:

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have friends driving up from Christchurch for a car club event at Taupo, so I'm meeting them there. Bottle of Canadian Club is a whole lot cheaper than the courier! Not all the 75kg is going in there, just want to make sure I have enough for ~2cm layer, and hopefully enough left over for my 4'.

No plants, other than what I feed to the uaru... :wink:

David, what are those blue spiky plastic things in the first pic? I purchased a tank recently and it came with all sorts of stuff - much of which I don't know what it is - mine included green spiky things and I have no idea what they are or what they're for :-?

David, what are those blue spiky plastic things in the first pic? I purchased a tank recently and it came with all sorts of stuff - much of which I don't know what it is - mine included green spiky things and I have no idea what they are or what they're for :-?

They are bio spheres which are excellent for use in sumps and can be used in big cannister filters. They help filter the larger bits of muck in the tank.

• 2 weeks later...

Two words for tonight. Epic fail.

I got the sand over the weekend, washed it and put it in the tank. I only used 1.5 bags (out of 3). Stoked. Looked awesome, but a little on the fine side. Tonight I transferred birchy (the big ornate) across from the 4' using a pillow case, he's close to 17" now!! As I suspected he stirred up the sand every time he swims with a bit of force. But worse than that, the fine sand appeared to stick to him and in about 5 minutes he looked like he had been rolled in icing sugar. So I very rapidly siphoned all the sand out, and I'm back to a bare-bottomed tank wondering what I should use for substrate. I didn't even take a pic with the sand in.

I've dumped a heap of stress-coat in to help birchy with his slime coat, he gradually seems to be shedding the sand. Fingers crossed it doesn't stress him too much.

So, suggestions for substrates??