To kill the cat

Charlie

We have a 1 eyed cat that we got from the RSPCA. I think im going to flip out on KILL HER :evil:

Ok lets look at what she has done to my fish hobby...

Killed to dat:

$350 Oranda (white capped male)

$300 Oranda (Female with a whiteish cap)

$50 Blue Moscow Male (got in when fill started selling them)

$30 Large Angel

Now, now shes really done it...

A male (I think) L128!!!!!!!!

I think im going to melt down, i simply have NO idea how she got it?

Don't kill the cat

Solution: Cover the tank

I have 3 kitties and one is a Turkish Van, also known as swimming or "fishing" cat's, he's never been a problem..... except for spilling a large bucket of tank water all over the carpet, arg :-?

Oooh I LOVE Turkish Van cats.... what characters!

Oops sorry to take the thread off-topic :oops:

take her down to ya local chinese takeaway you may be able to recoup some of your dough lol....i truely feel for ya though but you gotta draw a line in the sand sooner or later.if you dont like the first option and as shes so good at catching fish perhaps there is a future for her on a fishing trawler.

I agree cover the tank. I have 5 cats they used to drink out of the tank but none caught my fish. Although the fish were really friendly and used to come when they were drinking. I don't think a chinese takeaway would pay for a cat, why pay when theres lots of strays. I don't think you are allowed cats on boats anymore, I'm pretty sure your not allowed dogs for health reasons (may contaminate the fish). I can't imagine a fancy goldfish jumping out but still stranger things have happened. I wouldn't even think a goldfish would be tasty but then I'm not a cat. Probably just loves the thrill of the catch. Cover the tank or buy cheaper fish

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry about your losses Charlie :(

I've had my cats drinking out of the tank, yuck. But neither have ever caught a fish. I thought they were over it since I hadn't seen them on the tanks in awhile till Tigger jumped up the other day.

I just need to cover the areas that are open (small areas)...any suggestions as to what I could do. Is it ok to cover where the filter is?

Caper

We have a 1 eyed cat that we got from the RSPCA. I think im going to flip out on KILL HER :evil:

Ok lets look at what she has done to my fish hobby...

Killed to dat:

$350 Oranda (white capped male)

$300 Oranda (Female with a whiteish cap)

$50 Blue Moscow Male (got in when fill started selling them)

$30 Large Angel

Now, now shes really done it...

A male (I think) L128!!!!!!!!

I think im going to melt down, i simply have NO idea how she got it?

I'm always curious as to why people resort to death as a "quick fix" solution, a bit of patience and correct training (of the cat) can resolve the issues.

you can put lipstick on a cat

but it is still a cat

natural hunters, generally inclined to chase anything that moves

i love cats but they don't have a place in our bush

cats are like dogs, OK with responsible owners

can understand davidrs point of view as cats cause us many problems

seeing our fantail population grow then finding piles of feathers of young fantails makes me feel the sentiments charlie originally expressed in this thread

one neighbour has 7 cats, told me i should keep our birds penned up

see its not the cats livingart its the owners, if people de-sexed their damn cats the kitten population wouldnt be what it is, also keeping your cats inside from dusk til dawn helps stop the bird killing.

There was a recent study on the effects cats have had on our birds and gecko's its findings where not expected. It seems that cats are actually not as bad as once thought as they are catching rats, mice and stoats. These animals will go into a birds nest and kill everything in it. They are far more ruthless killers. The cats are keeping their population down. Still cats are able to kill birds and will do people should be responsible cat owners.

• 2 weeks later...

I'd never consider buying a tank/bowl without a cover because I have cats, and fish can jump - just common sense really.

I had one killi who found ways out of the tank - twice he was found (in time) on the floor - cats never caused it and never found him so was definitely him on his own volition wanting to move :wink:

One of my cats when I got my first tank - at first the cats were intrigued but they got bored of the fish pretty quickly.

Cameo2.jpg

.....later when the tank was upgraded - this is cat 2 "sunbathing"

Jamestank1.jpg

was the cat you got from the SPCA a wild cat? sometimes rehoming a previous wild/feral cat/kitten isn't the easiest to do...Amy had a black and white kitten many years back and it would just latch onto her arm/wrist and go nuts scatching for no reason then it ran away :o - to this day she's been a dog person